Singapore Expats Forum

Chinese language school Oxford <-> Cambridge?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Mr. P

Chinese language school Oxford <-> Cambridge?

Postby Mr. P » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:07 pm

I am currently contemplating about studying Chinese (Mandarin) in Singapore. I have been thinking about taking a full time course since I would be on a Student's Pass and would not be allowed to work part time (or so I think)? I have been searching on different schools and courses and the only schools which seem to offer any full time Chinese courses are:

http://www.oxford.edu.sg/index.asp

http://www.cambridge.com.sg

They seem to be one and the same school? They are located in the Peninsula Plaza although on different floors. They offer the exact same course for identical tuition and they have the same CEO? Anybody know if these are reputable institutions? Are there any other institutions/school which are more popular to learn Chines? My idea is also that during the course (which is 9 months) I would like to look for a job since I plan to settle in Singapore. I worked in Sing. for half a year in 2003 and I visit every 6 month now.

During my time of studying I would naturally need some place to stay. Since I would not be able to earn any money I have budgeted SGD 600-700 p/m for rent. Would that be enough for a decent place (1 bedroom..simple...small)?

Many thanx in advance

:)

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 1:55 am

I learnt Thai at Cambridge School of Language in 10 lessons. Classes were really enjoyable and the teacher was very concern. Like they print on every ad they have, 'Speak a new language in just 2 months' and you should really believe this. It worked! I'd definitely learn another language there in the future.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Mr. P

Postby Mr. P » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 2:26 am

Hi singaporegrrl

Sounds quite incredible that you learnt Thai in just 10 lessons there also cosidering that it's a rather difficult language to learn from what I have gathererd? You sound very satisfied by that school. Can you tell me what the difference between the Cambridge and Oxford school is? Are they the same company?

If they can teach you a language in just two months what is the 9 month course good for then? :wink:

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:21 am

Oh that 2 months was my Basic Thai course. Since the one you're talking about is 9 months, it could be the full course; basic, intermediate and advance. You can call or email them for enquiries.

Thank goodness it wasn't as hard as I've imagined as the teacher was very determined and at the same time made the class very enjoyable.

As for the difference betweem Cambridge and Oxford, I'm not sure either. You could just call up or email them if they are under the same institution.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:26 pm

Sg grrrrrrrrrrrl, how much is the fee for the course??

Singapore Polytechnic has many language courses and they are real good.
And good for smart students only because the teaching was very fast. I think the slower ones should go Cambridge language school which has nothing to do with Cambridge University.
10 April 2006

Mr. P

Postby Mr. P » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 6:02 pm

Oh that 2 months was my Basic Thai course. Since the one you're talking about is 9 months, it could be the full course; basic, intermediate and advance.

You are right the 9 month course is actually split up into 3 sections; basic, intermediate and advanced. Judging by your success after only 2 months a 9 month course should make one rather proficient in a language there.

I have checked their website but did not find anything on language courses? Do you know where I can get more information on what they offer?

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 9:46 pm

donno wrote:Sg grrrrrrrrrrrl, how much is the fee for the course??

And good for smart students only because the teaching was very fast. I think the slower ones should go Cambridge language school which has nothing to do with Cambridge University.

For your information, the certificate is certified by Cambridge. They don't use the name for nothing ok. It's a recognised language certificate. As for the course fee, don't be lazy and check out the website.

And I strongly recommend Cambridge School of Languages as the teachers come from their own native countries or they have a strong understanding of the language and culture. My thai teacher came from Thailand and I learnt alot on their culture that I've never seen on travel and leisure channels and such.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:04 am

10 April 2006

jazzmatazzie

Postby jazzmatazzie » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 1:51 am

Just checked out the website, 275 for 60 hours is stupendously cheap...............except, the website goes on to say that "LC offers optional Asian and European language courses to FULL-TIME SP students outside of curriculum time."

gl171

Postby gl171 » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:54 pm

You may want to check out Spore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry http://english.sccci.org.sg/index.cfm?GPID=56

Not sure if they offer full time though.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 2:19 pm

I guess, just stick to the one Singapore Grrrrl recommended... Cambridge or Oxford..

OR there are lots of language courses at community centres..

Or if you dont want to pay a single cent, go to the Library(it is everywhere, NLB).. Look for books such as LEARN CHINESE IN THREE MONTHS, LEARN TO SPEAK SPANISH..
10 April 2006

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby singaporegrrl » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 2:32 pm

Well, books are good but sometimes it's hard coz you don't know how the exact pronunciation sounds. CD-ROMs are good too but very limited. That's why classes are better because there's someone to guide you and make sure you get things right, like pronunciation, grammar and the likes. Although more expensive, it's all worth it.

During my Thai course with Cambridge, I had a classmate who already learnt German at the same place and I heard his going for another course again. It really shows he's very satisfied with the way they teach there. Personally, I'm satisfied myself. That's why I'd learn another language there in the future.

Mr. P

Postby Mr. P » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 4:48 pm

You may want to check out Spore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry

I checked their website but I couldn't find any full time courses. It really seems that the Cambridge/Oxford institute are the only ones offering this. It is 9-12 / 2-5pm for their full time program Mon. - Fri.

Well, books are good but sometimes it's hard coz you don't know how the exact pronunciation sounds.

True, learning a language by oneself just from books is rather hard and tedious. Having a teacher guide you and having class mates with who to practice is essential in my opinion.

As for the difference between Cambridge and Oxford I think that they are one institution and that the Cambridge Institute represents their language department and the Oxford Institute is for their other academic courses. I could be wrong on this though?

aji_gerdiman

Is an EP holder allowed to enroll in part-time courses?

Postby aji_gerdiman » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 5:49 pm

Hi,

I'm currently holding an EP and I'm planning to take a mandarin course. I'm just wondering whether a EP holder is allowed to take part-time courses without applying for a student's pass. Hope you guys have the answer. Thank you in advance. :)

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Is an EP holder allowed to enroll in part-time courses?

Postby singaporegrrl » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 6:36 pm

aji_gerdiman wrote:Hi,

I'm currently holding an EP and I'm planning to take a mandarin course. I'm just wondering whether a EP holder is allowed to take part-time courses without applying for a student's pass. Hope you guys have the answer. Thank you in advance. :)

I don't think there is a need, but I could be wrong though. You should email the institude for info.