Singapore Expats Forum

The whole "maid" thing...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: The whole "maid" thing...

Postby Plavt » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 9:06 pm

EADG wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Glad you are back posting WIMH... I miss you, if no one else.

here here, I as well, it was not the same place without you

She isn't notice the date as I mentioned earlier.

Plavt.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 9:22 pm

Plavt wrote:She isn't notice the date as I mentioned earlier.

doh! duly corrected, and I don't have a reason lke SE does.....

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 4:55 am

Plavt wrote:
EADG wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Glad you are back posting WIMH... I miss you, if no one else.

here here, I as well, it was not the same place without you

She isn't notice the date as I mentioned earlier.

Plavt.

I too miss WIMH and I hope she's reading this. :)
One man's meat is another's poison.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 8:34 am

K1W1, SOOOO???? what has happened? Can we have an update?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 9:37 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:SE,

You must really be missing WIMH! As well, I am also. As Plavt said, look at the date of the Post 17 March! Really a "Good" Friday yeah? What are YOU sipping now that the sun's over the yardarm? :mrgreen:

Cheap scotch... with a slug of 18 year old due later in the evening. Trying to get wrapped up for my trip to SF... and wasting too much time on the boards.

WIMH is a dear heart, close to mine. A lovely young woman, strong sense of ethics and morality, well educated, and highly intelligent to boot. Maybe scary for the average neanderthal, but a definite jewel for anyone seeking in depth conversation with someone with a well thought out point of view.

Ha, ha, ha. TGIF from California. You guys cracked me up. Apparently everyone's got too much to drink on the weekend.

SE, hope you have a wonderful trip in SF. I can't help it but just want to tease you. Alas, I will not get to meet you. We will be so close and yet so far away :lol: .

ddt77

Better late then nvr

Postby ddt77 » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 2:31 pm

Plavt wrote:ddt77,

You are a little late, have a look at the date of those posts. :(

Plavt.

oh man.....its better then nvr! I just joined the forum yeah.....
:o

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 8:22 pm

earthfriendly wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:SE,

You must really be missing WIMH! As well, I am also. As Plavt said, look at the date of the Post 17 March! Really a "Good" Friday yeah? What are YOU sipping now that the sun's over the yardarm? :mrgreen:

Cheap scotch... with a slug of 18 year old due later in the evening. Trying to get wrapped up for my trip to SF... and wasting too much time on the boards.

WIMH is a dear heart, close to mine. A lovely young woman, strong sense of ethics and morality, well educated, and highly intelligent to boot. Maybe scary for the average neanderthal, but a definite jewel for anyone seeking in depth conversation with someone with a well thought out point of view.

Ha, ha, ha. TGIF from California. You guys cracked me up. Apparently everyone's got too much to drink on the weekend.

SE, hope you have a wonderful trip in SF. I can't help it but just want to tease you. Alas, I will not get to meet you. We will be so close and yet so far away :lol: .

Well... if you didn't have your hubby and I didn't have my wifey, I suppose it would be a tryst, yah? It's 5 in the morning and pouring rain. Can you make it stop, please? My convertible will be pretty useless with this liquid sunshine.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:31 pm

Wham wrote:K1W1, SOOOO???? what has happened? Can we have an update?

The lowdown:

Agent continued being useless. I took back my money. Our maid left the country and went to stay with a friend in Batam. While gone, her permit was cancelled by her cheap-ass employers who (strangely) had no problems dealing with her paperwork once she had left the country - and they would have to pay the levy for the maid they no longer "owned". We opted to do all our paperwork ourselves.

I have had a major headache with MOM who are incredibly efficient (I have learned) when there is a gone-past-patient kiwi on the phone demanding to speak with the head of the Work Permit division... in fact work permits are granted in a matter of hours... (having said this, we had had three weeks of their incompetence too).

Our new maid has moved in, settled in well and we are extremely happy with our choice. Our kids really like her, we really like her and she seems quite happy in her new job. We all saved a massive amount of money too.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 6:47 am

Glad to hear there is essentially what sounds like a happy ending. We kind of jumped through hoops to get a maid (that we knew was extremely good) who was employed by some friends who were moving. I think it is worth the extra effort to get a good one. BTW, it sounds like the people who she was working for previously were real jerks so she should be extra happy with the K1W1 clan.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson