Singapore Expats Forum

The whole "maid" thing...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

The whole "maid" thing...

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 9:50 pm

I am having a nightmare of a time getting our maid sorted out. I nearly posted this on the angry board for the anonymity that's in it, but I need some genuine advice - now is not the time to tell me I'm an idiot. Read on, and you'll want to though... :cry:

Anyway, I found, interviewed and hired the maid we think will fit well in our house and with our family. All looks great and she seems very happy. I checked the agency was CaseTrust registered and went down to see them to sort out the transfer. I refused to sign a few of the documents as they were not completed (just blank copies of "standard contracts"). Anyway, some of it is sorted out: The part about how much I have to pay and what the agent will do for that money. She tells me I need to pay my fee, and I (like a SHMUCK) forked over my entire transfer fee. She said she would be in touch in a week with the paperwork for my maid to transfer. She has never called me ONCE in the past five weeks. :mad:

I have repeatedly called the agent (and our maid) to find out WTF is going on. Apparently our maid's current employer is refusing to "release" her (I am having such a hard time with this: "release her?" Doesn't she have a right to leave if she gives notice? - her contract has expired). The agent told me today not to worry, that she has the maid's passport.

Me: "WHAT? You're holding her passport - why? You haven't even started her paperwork as her boss won't let her go."

Scum-bag Agent: "Yes, and now she won't run away in the meantime".

The agent says she can't do anything to MAKE these people release her any earlier (I have been VERY patient - I have waited for these people to replace their maid, then waited as the current maid trained the new maid, then waited for school holidays (as they would be inconvenienced) and now I am waiting for them to... actually, I don't know).

The agent has her money and now clearly doesn't feel like she has to do anything. My maid (or is she) is deathly afraid that I am going to forget about her and just employ someone else. She is verging on correct.

I don't know what to do. Please throw me a bone!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 5:49 am

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you K1w1, but I don't -- other than to say:

It is very common for the agent to hold the maid's passport

Congratulations, you have had your first amah drama, probably the first of a few

Why not go down to the MOM with every bit of information you have and ask them what to do?

This is from their website, it might help?

Procedures for Employing a Foreign Domestic Worker who is Currently Working in Singapore
For Guidelines on Change of Employers for Foreign Domestic Workers, please click here.

The effective transfer date for a foreign domestic worker is usually 7 days from the Work Permit application's approval date. To request for a change of the transfer date, both the new and current employers have to agree on a new transfer date and consent to the change. If there is a need for employers to defer the transfer date and the new transfer date falls within 7 calendar days from the original scheduled date, the new employer can request for Work Permit Issuance via WP Online. The current employer of the Foreign (Non-Malaysian) Domestic Worker is required to pay the Foreign Workers Levy until the day before the Work Permit is issued to the worker employed under the new employer's name.

However, if the employers need to defer the transfer date beyond the 7 calendar days from the original scheduled date, the new employer is required to fax the following documents to the Work Pass Division at Fax No: 6317 1329 before he/she can request for Work Permit Issuance via WP Online:

New Employer's Request Letter for a change of transfer date
Current Employer's Consent Letter to change the original scheduled transfer date to another date (new date must be clearly indicated)
The new employer will receive the fax reply from the Work Pass Division.

Hang in there, it'll get sorted!

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 2:40 pm

Mary - you are too nice. K1W1, in your position i would be extremely upset. My advice is to send them a registered letter seeking the recovery of you funds immediately, accusing them of fraudulent misrepresentation, give them x number of days to comply, and copy the appropriate department at the Ministry of Manpower. The Ministry has revoked a lot of licenses lately and these maid agencies are under a lot of scrutiny. If this does not work, take them to small claims court.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 3:50 pm

Wham wrote:Mary - you are too nice. K1W1, in your position i would be extremely upset. My advice is to send them a registered letter seeking the recovery of you funds immediately, accusing them of fraudulent misrepresentation, give them x number of days to comply, and copy the appropriate department at the Ministry of Manpower. The Ministry has revoked a lot of licenses lately and these maid agencies are under a lot of scrutiny. If this does not work, take them to small claims court.

That's exactly what you need to do. You'd be amazed how quickly she'll suddenly get "released" when there's a threat of the law looking into their books.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 3:53 pm

Hey, hey! Hold on Gentlemen -- I never said she shouldn't take speciifc steps to reclaim her funds, but rather should talk to the Ministry, (at a convenient time of course :wink: ) so they can't double -talk our poor k1w1 into submission.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: The whole "maid" thing...

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:27 am

k1w1 wrote:I am having a nightmare of a time getting our maid sorted out.

hey k1w1, know how you feel. the 'transfer maid' route is a pain. my sis had the same problem with the endless delays, though i don't think she made any payment so it was not an issue, she just took the next best option.

do alert MOM as they need to know about such abuses. provide agent's name and all details. small claims tribunal is a good idea to try to get your money back. write to the straits times forum page too if you can be bothered.

where is samantha? she may be able to give some good advice.

anyway good luck k1w1!

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 9:28 am

Thanks guys. Okay, the update on my tragic and pathetic situation:

I called our agent for the 20 millionth time. Told her I either wanted a transfer of the maid I had selected, or I wanted a refund as she had not done what I had paid her to do. She offered to send me another maid. I got slightly annoyed and pointed out to her that this was not a "bums on seats" operation for me. I selected that maid because of her background, experience and personality. I did not want another person.

When she finally understood this, she called the maid's current employer (who has lost the transfer papers and doesn't know where they are and oops, is it transfer time already?) :mad: They have said she can go in a few more weeks. Not fecking good enough, I said. The agent can't get any sense out of them, and is now telling my maid she can run away to Batam for a couple of days while her old permit is cancelled, the new one accepted and she is successfully transferred to the k1w1 household.

Total, total madness. I have given the agency till the end of today to have the paperwork at MOM to be processed or I will be demanding a refund and taking further action.

Did you guys all get new maids?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 9:46 am

Sounds like you've got it under control, good for you. Had 2 'new' maids and two transfers. It is a bit like falling down the rabbit hole, isn't it?

ddt77

Maid

Postby ddt77 » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 5:59 pm

hey hey, u shld just tell the agent to refund you the agency fee regardless of what. The very fact that they do not keep to their words means they are not trust worthy. Who knows what kind of nonsenses they will give u in future.

Anyway, so long you have not applied for employment for the maid with MOM, you can reject her offer. Anyway she didnt give you the maid you wanted.

I got a new hire for a Filipino maid who works in HK previously, and i must say she is really a blessings to our home. Taking care of everything from household chores to whipping up italian dinner for us.....

Man, bang the tables with agt until you got the maid you want! All the best!!

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 6:07 pm

ddt77,

You are a little late, have a look at the date of those posts. :(

Plavt.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 6:55 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
k1w1 wrote:I am having a nightmare of a time getting our maid sorted out.

hey k1w1, know how you feel. the 'transfer maid' route is a pain. my sis had the same problem with the endless delays, though i don't think she made any payment so it was not an issue, she just took the next best option.

do alert MOM as they need to know about such abuses. provide agent's name and all details. small claims tribunal is a good idea to try to get your money back. write to the straits times forum page too if you can be bothered.

where is samantha? she may be able to give some good advice.

anyway good luck k1w1!

Glad you are back posting WIMH... I miss you, if no one else.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 7:15 pm

SE,

You must really be missing WIMH! As well, I am also. As Plavt said, look at the date of the Post 17 March! Really a "Good" Friday yeah? What are YOU sipping now that the sun's over the yardarm? :mrgreen:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 7:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:SE,

You must really be missing WIMH! As well, I am also. As Plavt said, look at the date of the Post 17 March! Really a "Good" Friday yeah? What are YOU sipping now that the sun's over the yardarm? :mrgreen:

Cheap scotch... with a slug of 18 year old due later in the evening. Trying to get wrapped up for my trip to SF... and wasting too much time on the boards.

WIMH is a dear heart, close to mine. A lovely young woman, strong sense of ethics and morality, well educated, and highly intelligent to boot. Maybe scary for the average neanderthal, but a definite jewel for anyone seeking in depth conversation with someone with a well thought out point of view.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 7:42 pm

Agreed!

By the way, have a good trip.

sms

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 8:38 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Glad you are back posting WIMH... I miss you, if no one else.

here here, I as well, it was not the same place without you