Singapore Expats Forum

Job offer- but no pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Job offer- but no pass

Postby Cheekybeek » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 3:36 pm

I rang up today for a job that was advertised wanting foreigners. The job is mystery shopping on a job by job basis. I was told it would all be cash in hand etc and no passes were needed. I am sort of tempted as I would like the extra cash but I am guessing this is an absolute no-no as far as MoM is concerned. I am also thinking if I took the job and was found out it would mean very bad things for myself, boyfriend, and his company who've sponsored me. But don't they realise that they are putting people who wouldn't want to cheat the tax system etc in a very bad position because they can't just work part time with a letter of consent even though they are fully dependent on their spouses but just not married to them?

Ughhh the moral dilemma. What would you do? Is there any way round this?- I really think not, but could the entre-pass work if my job was freelance customer service consultant? I could whip up the business plan over the weekend, but with the $3000.00 is this refundable if the business fails to work?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 5:21 pm

Cheekybeek,
I am a long way away and don't have the experience of either living or working in Singapore. However, I would be very careful of 'cash in the hand' as that suggests either you will get paid less than they say or might in some instances not get paid at all. All in all it looks like some sort of scheme to avoid the authorities and personally I would steer clear of it (similar happens here in the UK). Hopefully somebody like Vaucluse, Eric or SMS will read your post as they lived there for some time.

Plavt.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Job offer- but no pass

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 1:48 am

Cheekybeek wrote:I rang up today for a job that was advertised wanting foreigners. The job is mystery shopping on a job by job basis. I was told it would all be cash in hand etc and no passes were needed. I am sort of tempted as I would like the extra cash but I am guessing this is an absolute no-no as far as MoM is concerned. I am also thinking if I took the job and was found out it would mean very bad things for myself, boyfriend, and his company who've sponsored me. But don't they realise that they are putting people who wouldn't want to cheat the tax system etc in a very bad position because they can't just work part time with a letter of consent even though they are fully dependent on their spouses but just not married to them?

Ughhh the moral dilemma. What would you do? Is there any way round this?- I really think not, but could the entre-pass work if my job was freelance customer service consultant? I could whip up the business plan over the weekend, but with the $3000.00 is this refundable if the business fails to work?

You mean you need to have $3000 in hand to start? If yes, I suggest you don't take it as it might be those infamous get-rich-quick schemes and it's rather weird that they want foreigners with no pass. The best thing to do is to research about the company and the jobscope. Good luck!
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Job offer- but no pass

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:26 am

singaporegrrl wrote:
Cheekybeek wrote:I rang up today for a job that was advertised wanting foreigners. The job is mystery shopping on a job by job basis. I was told it would all be cash in hand etc and no passes were needed. I am sort of tempted as I would like the extra cash but I am guessing this is an absolute no-no as far as MoM is concerned. I am also thinking if I took the job and was found out it would mean very bad things for myself, boyfriend, and his company who've sponsored me. But don't they realise that they are putting people who wouldn't want to cheat the tax system etc in a very bad position because they can't just work part time with a letter of consent even though they are fully dependent on their spouses but just not married to them?

You mean you need to have $3000 in hand to start? If yes, I suggest you don't take it as it might be those infamous get-rich-quick schemes and it's rather weird that they want foreigners with no pass. The best thing to do is to research about the company and the jobscope. Good luck!

No they don't want money. But I've decided I was just clutching at straws even considering it as it would mean working illegally and therefore they want foreigners who will work illegally probably so they can rip them off or not pay them and you can't complain or you will be in BIG trouble.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:29 pm

I am a long way away and don't have the experience of either living or working in Singapore.

Nothing better to do. You go to UKexpats forum fool!
10 April 2006

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:32 pm

WTH are you talking about donno? :???:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:53 pm

Cheekybeek you are right about the $3k in the bank thing for setting up a new company, but instead you could also get a registered company to "sponsor" you - ie they fill in part of the form with company chop.

On taking the cash in hand job - depends on your personal level of accepting risk & how much you need the money. Getting paid to shop does sound tempting though
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 3:59 pm

donno wrote:I am a long way away and don't have the experience of either living or working in Singapore.

Cheekybeek was asking a sensible question and I have enough information to help albeit in a small way. YOUR COMMENTS ARE UNIVITED AND UNREQUIRED. Now f***** off thick imbecilic little moron that you are and since I doubt if you know what imbecilic means try using a dictionary - if you know how.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Thu, 16 Mar 2006 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 4:23 pm

Actually being a 'mystery shopper' has been around for sometime. I guess especially more now what with the GeMS drive and all.

I have by my own experience, known quite a number of expats, who have taken up such work.

You could look at it this way...

...it's like being a talent in an advert. You get paid but it's not a fulltime job per se. Some people who hold dependant passports I know do this kind of work pretty regularly even though it is also dependant on a job to job basis.

That's the plus side.

The downside is...

..you could end up spending more time chasing for payment than when on the job itself.

Have a think....
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 4:27 pm

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:29 pm

donno wrote:I am a long way away and don't have the experience of either living or working in Singapore.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:18 pm

donno wrote:I'm not lost. I live in Singapore and this is a Singapore's website.

I don't go to UK's website.

Make up your mind, will you??

:roll:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 5:34 pm

Donno doesn't know much - how about he moves to the UK. Plavt? Know where to put up your friend?

'nuff said Image

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 6:04 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Donno doesn't know much - how about he moves to the UK. Plavt? Know where to put up your friend?

I believe London Zoo has had considerable financial difficulties in recent years and was on the verge of closure at one point. I am sure donno could improve their finances considerably but what name could you give such a species?

Plavt.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 6:18 pm

Don't worry Plavt. I believe you're infinitely more qualified to give advice than Donno, regardless of the topic.

Thanks for the replies. I am not going to do it, I have family coming from Australia to visit this weekend anyhow and am not going to run around for briefings and things next week. If I was in Australia I wouldn't have even looked at the job, just getting a useless feeling sitting home, searching ad after ad of PR or Singaporean or Mandarin speaking required ads. I just wish that common law marriage qualified me for the dependents pass. I shouldn't be forced to get married just so that I can prove I am dependent and therefore work- making me independent :???: :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 9:25 am

Plavt wrote:I am sure donno could improve their finances considerably but what name could you give such a species?

Plavt.

Homo Sapiens, Subspecies "Idiot" springs to mind. :cool:

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 9:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Plavt wrote:I am sure donno could improve their finances considerably but what name could you give such a species?

Plavt.

Homo Sapiens, Subspecies "Idiot" springs to mind. :cool:

Mornin's SMS...

..good to read this 'side' of you again mate :D
'If you feel alive

in a darkened room

Do you know the name

of your solitude..'