Singapore Expats

New to Singapore - Housing Costs

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
acgibb

New to Singapore - Housing Costs

Post by acgibb » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 4:58 pm

I am relocating from Dubai to Singapore and have spent a lot of time looking at housing costs (particularly on this www.singaporeexpats.com site.

I reckon that rents in Singapore are about 1/3 to 1/4 cheaper than Dubai for a 2 bedroom condo.

Nonetheless I read an article on the cost of living throughhout many world cities in the local Dubai newspaper that stated rents were consistently higher in Singapore than Dubai.

I am now suspicious that the apartment rents quoted on these internet sites is suddenly 'not available' or 'already gone' and I am told that there is more avilable at a higher price. Am i being too suspicious.

Can anyone alse say if there are any other hidden costs apart from agency commissions, etc

Thanks

Search By

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CardZeus » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 5:14 pm

No hidden costs in my experience. You should be able to get a very nice 2 bed apartment for around S$2000 per month (or slightly less) - that would be in a condo with use of usual facilities - swimming pool, gym, and perhaps others like tennis courts sauna/steam room, squash etc
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

squasher

Post by squasher » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:07 pm

You will need to pay one month agent commission if the rental is less than sgd2,500 but if it's 2.5k above, then the landlord would be paying for it.

James**
Regular
Regular

Post by James** » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 8:35 pm

Hi,
No way are rental costs near anywhere those in Dubai..if you use the same yardstick for the way they charge for hotels in dubai where rates may change day to day.., you will soon realise that you have lots of options available to you to suit your budget..

welcome.. :)