Singapore Expats Forum

Expats not welcome

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Expats not welcome

Postby bushbride » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 2:07 pm

Dear 'Singapore Expat' Web Administrators and Friends,

It has recently come to my attention that recreational clubs (including some posted on this website) are reserved for Singaporeans and PRs only.

Why is this so concerning? The Singapore PM has made several statements in the media about how pleased he is that Singapore has an open and accepting multicultural society. Yet, what I have discovered is that in some community recreational clubs, foreigners are strictly forbidden to join Singaporeans in a friendly game of tennis.

I refer specifically to the Chinese Swimming Club listed on SingaporeExpats website.

Now I do appreciate varying shades of grey in any situation. For example, I could appreciate it if it was a ‘mens cigar club’, but it is a family, local community recreational club. I could also understand if it was for Chinese business men only, yet it does not discriminate for Chinese nationals…it is Singaporean only. I could also understand that expats may be required to pay a slightly (not exorbitant) higher fee, but again, absolutely no option, Singaporean only!

Web Administrators - only listing recreational facilities that allow expats through the door (in one form or another) would be advantageous.

Frustrated, disappointed and baffled!

BB

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 2:10 pm

What is "Chinese" swimming?
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 2:21 pm

CardZeus wrote:What is "Chinese" swimming?

If the swimmers at the Jurong Water Park or Wild Wild Wet are any indication, it means swimming in your tweety bird pajamas.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 2:26 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
CardZeus wrote:What is "Chinese" swimming?

If the swimmers at the Jurong Water Park or Wild Wild Wet are any indication, it means swimming in your tweety bird pajamas.

LOL :P
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 7:25 pm

Laugh all you want, Its true.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 7:59 pm

As opposed t the old aunites anf kids that you can see anywhere and everywhere after 10pm in their mickey mouse or floral pj's . . . Hawker centre, mall . . .

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 9:08 pm

Not opposed to, rather the perfect compliment to the tweety bird bathing costume. Like you don't do the same thing? Please...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:33 pm

Do agree with OP though, if it is the case....

Advertising stuff on an EXPAT site and then restricting those who wanna use the advertised thingies by saying it is not meant for their pleasure... :???:

Question at the same time: As opposed to the Chinese swimming costumes, how do you recognize a German when swimming.......?

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 6:28 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Question at the same time: As opposed to the Chinese swimming costumes, how do you recognize a German when swimming.......?

Eric

They tie their straps in little nazis?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:04 am

Mary, I would have thought better of you . . .

Ah, the old jokes - let's see how one can identify Dutch at the bach . . .

'nuff said Image

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:30 am

Recognising a German in a swimming pool: Would that be the person having breakfast but their towel is on the lounger by the pool? :D

No offence meant of course - just a cliche
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:55 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:how do you recognize a German when swimming.......?

Eric

Gotta be the teeny-tiny speedos barely peeking out from underneath the michelin-man belly.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:56 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Ah, the old jokes - let's see how one can identify Dutch at the bach . . .

When they stick their finger into the water exhaust, thinking it's a leak in the dams.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:59 pm

teeny-tiny speedos barely peeking out from underneath the michelin-man belly

Oh that is an awful mental picture I now have in my head :o That post should have come with a government health warning:

"Warning this post will make you think of stuff that will turn your stomach" :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 6:19 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Do agree with OP though, if it is the case....

Advertising stuff on an EXPAT site and then restricting those who wanna use the advertised thingies by saying it is not meant for their pleasure... :???:

Eric

If you don't believe me, feel free to call the Chinese Swimming Club and ask them how you become a member...the number is listed at the following link

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/resource ... -clubs.htm

under the header 'Sports Recreation and Interest Clubs'.

Glad to see that you get my point Eric... even if the administrators here are choosing to ignore