Singapore Expats Forum

SPG??how bout a sarong party man?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

SPG??how bout a sarong party man?

Postby Guest » Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:29 am

Is it happening here in singapore at all??Does a local man who dated or keeping a lookout for an Ang Mog lady being tag as a sarong party man or just man wearing sarong? :P

The Deal

Postby The Deal » Fri, 30 Jul 2004 2:31 pm

Never heard the term Sarong Party Boy used, but I think they get called 'Potato Eater' in Hokkien or Cantonese or some dialect. Seriously.

Bubbles

Sarong Party Man

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 30 Jul 2004 9:36 pm

Hey, I don't know about the rest of the world but I think it's a great idea...........the opposite of what we expect........great, but it should be a rule that they wear ONLY sarongs.....and that they shouldn't be those old fashioned long ones........hahahaha!!! I mean, if the Scots can wear skirts, (and very little else) why not you lot?
This'll make coming to Sing FAR more interesting..........
Bye, Bubbs.
(Come over all funny now!!!!)

Rojak

I'm married to one

Postby Rojak » Sat, 31 Jul 2004 1:53 am

I'm from England and my husband is Malay. I take the piss out of him by calling him an SPG, Sarong Party Guy. There aren't so many couples like us, I mean caucasian women with Singaporean men. When we first started going out together almost 13 years ago we were a rare breed but I must say caucasian woman with Singaporean men are on the increase which I think is great, makes the world a little more interesting don't you think?

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:31 am

Re: Rojak

Yeah..we do see a trend of more Asian men with Caucasian women in Sing now...but I would say it's still a far cry, compared to the opposite way around. I think majority of the Asian men (typically the Sing Chinese men) still feel somewhat uncomfortable (often intimidated) with Caucasian women..perhaps for a lack of self-confidence or language barrier, do you think?

Rojak

I cant really talk for Sing Chinese men but...

Postby Rojak » Tue, 03 Aug 2004 1:58 am

I don't think it's for a lack of self-confidence and especially in Singapore not language barrier what with the majority of people speaking English whether they be Singaporean or let's a say from Sweden.

My opinion for what it's worth is that the majority of people wherever they're from prefer to stick to their own, they know what they are getting, it's more comfortable, there won't be any cultural problems etc. To put it simply, it's easier.

Saying that however I can't speak for same race relationships because I have no clue. Never been in one and never will hopefully seeing as I'm married! The reason being I've just never been attracted to Caucasians.

Back to my original point, I don't think this sticking together is just applicable to relationships because it's even the same when you look at friendships, you stick with the people you have something in common with and that usaually starts with race and culture but as always there are the exceptions which I think is great, the more exceptions there are, the better :wink:

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 6:37 pm

Fully agree, the more the better. Interesting to note that you've never been attracted to Caucasians?? Any particular reasons? :shock:

I guess you're right, people tend to stick to their own...birds of the same feather...well for a serious relationship (like inter-racial marriage), one has certainly more considerations...but on friendship levels, I see more benefits and good fun getting to know people from other races or nationalities. You get to see things from the other perspectives :D

But then again, keeping the conversation going can sometimes be a bit of a challenge, especially for the introverts (they are probably too afraid to even try!) :lol:

I notice locals here who have been exposed to other cultures (either they've been overseas studying/working) or are working in, say a MNC, are more likely to be open to cross-cultural friendships, dates, etc.

We'll probably see more of that, hopefully. :wink: