Singapore Expats Forum

The name is Bond..... James Bond.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:46 am

tiki wrote:Quite the charmer in Remington Steele.

I must say Steve Mcqueen was one as well in The Thomas Crown Affair.

Anyone knows if THE famous 'shaken but not stirred' martini actually had a particular product/brand referances?Or are they like his women different with every new adventure.

As for Connery..

... 'no one cyaan test mon!'.

You're a deep one Tiki and I remember a certain reference to Robert Nesta Marley in one of your posts.

Irie. :)
One man's meat is another's poison.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:18 pm

Well Ma'am....

I had the opportunity, thanks to the late 'Tiki' Snr, of listening to the man sing his songs in an intimate setting. When I picked up the guitar, the first song I learned to play was one of his, again much kudos to 'Tiki' Snr for teaching me not only the right chords but for passing on the right emotion to carry it.

On the day 'Tiki' Snr passed on, I played that song.

Much like Robert Nesta Marley's performance, time I spent with my dad will forever be etched and tattooed in my mind.

His songs did have an impact to a certain extent, on my people..the Maoris. It was like a bridge on where indigenous people like us and all the struggling ones pass each other and for that brief moment, in that fleeting knowing glance, we were all brothers and sisters.

To hear someone sing about our struggles and hardships was to know that we were not alone.

I sang the song during my dad's service for it was the song that said it all, about him and most important of all... about everyone who understood.

'Won't you help to sing
Dese songs of freedom'
'cause all I ever had.....

and the song was aptly titled...

..Redemption Songs'.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:49 pm

Global Citizen wrote:
Not a ting wrong with that bwoy. Pierce still look good even afta all dem years. Me luv him and Sean too and dem cyaars they drive. Wicked mon.

A likkle Jamaican patois fe you EADG.

'dey' drive, not 'they'

at least that's how they spoke when I was there....heehee
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sun, 12 Mar 2006 1:01 pm

Connery had that accent
Moore had that cheeky mole
Brosnan had that gaze

All of 'em had that air, that Aura...

Bond is like Superman I reckon but I'm glad they didn't follow the 'name' rule for Superman other wise it would have been...

George Reeves
Christopher Reeves...

...and Keanu Reeves :o
'If you feel alive

in a darkened room

Do you know the name

of your solitude..'

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 12 Mar 2006 1:36 pm

Perish the thought! Keanu Reeves, my ass...

This was always my favorite passage:

But my hand was made strong. By the hand of the almighty. We forward in this generation. Triumphantly. Won't you help to sing, redemption song. Redemption songs.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:53 pm

tiki wrote: On the day 'Tiki' Snr passed on, I played that song.

Much like Robert Nesta Marley's performance, time I spent with my dad will forever be etched and tattooed in my mind.

His songs did have an impact to a certain extent, on my people..the Maoris. It was like a bridge on where indigenous people like us and all the struggling ones pass each other and for that brief moment, in that fleeting knowing glance, we were all brothers and sisters.

To hear someone sing about our struggles and hardships was to know that we were not alone.

I sang the song during my dad's service for it was the song that said it all, about him and most important of all... about everyone who understood.

'Won't you help to sing
Dese songs of freedom'
'cause all I ever had.....

and the song was aptly titled...

..Redemption Songs'.

That must have been just beautiful and very moving. Your dad would have been proud.

EADG: 'with' should have been wid as well. :oops:
One man's meat is another's poison.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:40 am

Brosnon was a great Bond, as was Connery but none of them could wear a safari suit & carry it off like Moore ( :) I think that is a good thing)

Dalton - waste of time :?

Craig will be a good Bond in my opinion
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway