Singapore Expats Forum

$237 for a 'free' ticket

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

$237 for a 'free' ticket

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 8:48 am

This is just a giant whinge for me, and I truly believe SQ is the best airline (cathay a close second), but redemption tickets are getting more and more expensive. $1,185 (I think its USD :shock: ) seems awfully steep for the five of us to use our hard-earned miles to fly to Sydney...

Are other loyalty programmes as expensive? What exactly is the 'airport tax' they are charging me for? The employees at Kris Flyer told me it was:

for security (Plavt, are you listening?)
fuel surcharge
charged by the airport in Sydney
charged by the airport in Singapore
administration fees

Arghh!!
:mad:

Plavt

Re: $237 for a 'free' ticket

Postby Plavt » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:08 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:

Who the hell do you think you are!!!!?

Plavt. :mad:

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: $237 for a 'free' ticket

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:41 am

Plavt wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:

Who the hell do you think you are!!!!?

Plavt. :mad:

Not even the slightest bit understanding where this came from... Thought I would tie in our discussion from another thread. Did I break Forun etiquette again? Really Plavt, what did I do? Shed a little light.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:15 pm

Do you really think I don't know about the fuel surcharge? I do watch the news Mary.

Plavt.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:21 pm

Hey Plavt...

La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:25 pm

Thanks CD. Still no one has answered my question. Are all loyalty programs this expensive? When did that happen?

Plavt, still don't know what has your knickers in such a twist. Seems you read more into my inocuous little whinge than I expected... :roll:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:33 pm

Back to the question... I have been using mileage to get "free" trips and also faced the same. Not that amount of money though.

As far as airport tax is concerned it is sometimes included in the price of the ticket, sometimes you pay it at the airport (Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines...). It sounds logical that you have to pay it since it's not a revenue for the airline but for the airport. If you travel for free, they have to pay the tax anyway.

The rest can be discussed... Have you checked the rules and regulations of the Kris Flyer website?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:38 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Plavt, still don't know what has your knickers in such a twist. Seems you read more into my inocuous little whinge than I expected... :roll:

Just the kind of comment I would expect from someboy who is clearly both patronizing and arrogant to say the least.

Plavt.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:45 pm

Plavt wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:

Just the kind of comment I would expect from someboy who is clearly both patronizing and arrogant to say the least.

Plavt.

Who is the boy now? :wink:

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:56 pm

Have you checked the rules and regulations of the Kris Flyer website?

No, but I book a lot of Kris Flyer redemption tickets. I haven't sat in a seat I paid for in probably 5 years. Me, or the kids. I totally understand that there are taxes, etc... on a ticket. I just don't remember it being so much, and what's worse -- when you ask what it's for, 5 different people give you 5 completely different answers. There is obviously some new policy in place, but no one over there seems to know what exactly it is, or even vaguely.

Customer service on SQ, Cathay, and a few others used to be extraordinary. And on board its still much better than most. But dealing with them on the phonce is usually the worst hour you'll have all week.

And because I still have a bit of rant left in me: Even taking this into consideration -- it is by far superior to the travesty that has taken hold of the airline industry in the US. US domestic carriers are all, except for a very few, on the brink of bankruptcy (or already there). The level of 'service' is shameful, appaulling and embarrassing. If you work for American or United, I apologise -- I actually have friends that are flight attendents and do a fine job. But the vast majority are handcuffed with ridiculous union policies that prevent them from doing their actual jobs.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 5:55 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
Who is the boy now? :wink:

Who the **** asked you to chime in. :P :o :D

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Sat, 11 Mar 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 5:57 pm

Let's have a once and for all no holds barred bashing of America. :twisted:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 7:23 pm

sapphire wrote:Let's have a once and for all no holds barred bashing of America. :twisted:

This is a strange thread. Sapphire you were supposed to be my soul sister to the end!! :cry:

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 7:27 pm

Plavt wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Just the kind of comment I would expect from someboy.

I'm very much a girl, just ask Eric and Sapphire who have had the pleasure of meeting me in person.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 7:36 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Just the kind of comment I would expect from someboy.

I'm very much a girl, just ask Eric and Sapphire who have had the pleasure of meeting me in person.

Hmm, , , , , grumble :?

'nuff said Image