Singapore Expats Forum

working experience in hotel/restaurant in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

wysnaa

working experience in hotel/restaurant in Singapore

Postby wysnaa » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 5:23 pm

hi everyone
i wonder what u guys think about working in restaurant or hotel in singapore regardless what position that u hold ?
i invite anyone who has experience working in a hotel or restaurant, to share anything about the job....

thanks for your concern

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 7:45 pm

I think being waiter for a person 25 year old and above sounds "cheap"..

To me, being manager or supervisor is a good post..but dont tell me, fast food restaurant where even 18 year old students can be floor manager..
10 April 2006

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby singaporegrrl » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 9:48 pm

donno wrote:I think being waiter for a person 25 year old and above sounds "cheap"..

To me, being manager or supervisor is a good post..but dont tell me, fast food restaurant where even 18 year old students can be floor manager..

A waiter in a restaurant or a server in a fast food restaurant is the same. Without good education and experience, you can't expect to apply for a job as manager/supervisor. Why even 18 year old students can be floor managers at fast food restaurant? They started off from below as well. Positive attitude and hardwork brought them up the ladder from a mere server to manager. Same goes to restaurants. In addition, some may become supervisors while some will be more interested in wine appreciation, and thus become one of the restaurant's sommeliers after attending courses.

I think working in restaurants or hotel in Singapore isn't bad at all(or "cheap" as what donno call it). There is constant opportunities for people to upgrade themselves in knowledge as well as in position. "Cheap" or not, they are those few who contribute to Singapore's customer service standards.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

wysnaa

thank u singaporegrrl

Postby wysnaa » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 6:35 pm

thank u to encourage me

yeap i know that i will be too cheap as a waiter in age of 25...
i had a degree but i didnt use it to work..i was an emploter myself in indonesia and right now i am interested to work in singapore as a stepping stone to work in usa in the following years, that is why i chose to work in hospitality industry.

i believe that good attitude as well as hard-working would be an advantage for me, even as a waiter.

i invite everyone to give opinion about working in singapore particularly in hospitality industry.

all best for you
love your enemies:)

AirCon

Postby AirCon » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 6:49 pm

Wysnaa - good on ya. Diregard d!ckheads like donno who couldn't talk their way out of a paper bag and hide behind the internet to pretend they are god-knows what.

Keep plugging away - you've been on the other side as an employer and you can do it again. Start at the bottom and work your way up - something sh!theads like donno could never do.

Power to you.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 8:50 pm

I think working in restaurants or hotel in Singapore isn't bad at all(or "cheap" as what donno call it).

Sorry Singapore Grrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllllllllllllllllll.....
10 April 2006

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 8:59 pm

wysnaa, i think with your degree you can work in hotel sector..

A higher post such as Guest Relation Executive.

Being a manager for a Five Star hotel restaurant is also a good thing..

Wysnaa, you have the ability to work in a higher post in hospitality industry because of your degree.
10 April 2006