Singapore Expats Forum

Garry Glitter - Sick Pervert

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 1:36 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Please refrain from smooth characterisation of Chinese, there is no such 'true' nature. Not losing face is all that matters, nothing else. No integrity, not kindness, just not losing their faces, that's it, period.
Eric

Quite harsh Eric.

Not that i entirely disagree - but it is a harsh assessment.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 2:12 pm

At the risk of generalising, I would say most Asians worry about losing face, no?
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 2:21 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Please refrain from smooth characterisation of Chinese, there is no such 'true' nature. Not losing face is all that matters, nothing else. No integrity, not kindness, just not losing their faces, that's it, period.

Regarding Gary Glitter, I am all with Bafana on this.

Eric

Well, I'd disagree to a certain extent as well - but only to a certain extent.

(With Gary I'd have to see absolute and irrefutable proof before making a declaration of death - you do realise that quite a few foreigners have been accused of Child Molestation in CambodiaVietnam and many get off as the accusers are found out to have taken bribes or simply seeking a financial payoff? This includes family, business partners etc . . . It's too easy there to make money out of scams like that)

Mate, can you imagine your response you would give if someone would have made such a blanket statement about Malays or Muslims? You would have been all over them.

Good for the goose and good for the gander?
Last edited by Vaucluse on Wed, 15 Mar 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'nuff said Image

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 4:42 pm

Lastminute.com breached decency rules by mentioning sex offender Gary Glitter in an advert for children's theatre tickets:

Showing two young boys, it stated: "Like Gary Glitter in a sweet shop, you too can have your pick of kiddy treats in London's theatre world".

Unbelievable...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 805726.stm
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:04 am

Vaucluse wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Please refrain from smooth characterisation of Chinese, there is no such 'true' nature. Not losing face is all that matters, nothing else. No integrity, not kindness, just not losing their faces, that's it, period.

Mate, can you imagine your response you would give if someone would have made such a blanket statement about Malays or Muslims? You would have been all over them.

ya, he's lucky we chinese are such a docile bunch. :roll:

sapphire wrote:At the risk of generalising, I would say most Asians worry about losing face, no?

don't quite understand the expat obsession with face. all it means is that you worry what others think of you, and very few human beings are completely immune to the (dis)approval of others. it's just a matter of degree and only becomes a problem if it stops you from doing the right thing.

just my humble opinion. i, of course, have too much face and don't mind losing some of it. :lol:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:32 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:I remember someone specifically pointed out the SGean Chinese being nastier ones. He does have a point. Do not expect nice pleasantries and the Chinese to go all out to be friendly or sociable but if you live within their circle and interact with them at a deep level, you will see the their true nature. We are very reserve people, not so much a talk-it-out verbal cultures but more about action.

Please refrain from smooth characterisation of Chinese, there is no such 'true' nature. Not losing face is all that matters, nothing else. No integrity, not kindness, just not losing their faces, that's it, period.

Regarding Gary Glitter, I am all with Bafana on this.

Eric

Eric, why is it ok to hurl such verbal abuse at the Chinese, because they are ……………… non-confrontational ? And you can get away with it? There are chinese who break away from this docile self (like myself) and are happy to confront the perpetrator. Please tread lightly !

What I said is a generalization. Generalisation does not apply to 100 % of the population, just the majority and there are exceptions to the rule. After having lived many years overseas, I have developed a very deep interest and studied the Chinese culture and people. I draw my conclusion based on a deep examination of the culture and comparing it alongside all the great cultures that I had the privilege of working with.

The observation is both a personal and heartfelt one. To each his own. Our opinions are shaped by our experience and perception. You have never traveled the path that I did. You do not have to agree. However, I find your language unacceptable.

And please, do not dictate to me what opinion I can express!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:35 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
don't quite understand the expat obsession with face. all it means is that you worry what others think of you, and very few human beings are completely immune to the (dis)approval of others. it's just a matter of degree and only becomes a problem if it stops you from doing the right thing.

just my humble opinion. i, of course, have too much face and don't mind losing some of it. :lol:

I wonder if the expats and non-chinese know that “not losing face”

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 1:53 pm

[quote="earthfriendly"]

While stressing over the North Korean nuclear crisis, in an effort to draw N. Korea into a 6-party talk, USA had used terms like "tyrant”

'nuff said Image

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 2:40 pm

Don't know the exact English phrase for this but there is a method to his madness, and China is probably aware of this fact too.

He is not all the madness he portrays himself to be :wink: . I think he is a mini-hollywood production himself, with his self-profess love of all things American, madonna, albright and versace (ooops that's italian !) .

He actually came forward and told USA that he would not negotiate if USA insist on name-calling him a tyrant blah, blah, blah ...........

Quite whimsical for us (the non-politician) to watch from the sideline. It is like two kids bickering and China, the parent, to tell them to stop.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:11 pm

Vaucluse wrote: About the only guy that can claim to be as handsome as me - love his dress sense as well.

:^o
One man's meat is another's poison.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:15 pm

When you can't handle the gift of brilliance....

...madness rears it's ugly head.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 1:26 am

Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

I am in greater awe now, tiki. Now you talking like an ancient sage.

And I think it is a fine line between brilliance and madness .
Last edited by earthfriendly on Sun, 19 Mar 2006 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 1:34 am

Vaucluse wrote:He's a loose canon who has been difficult to deal with whether treated with respect or yelled at.

The guy's a loon. (apologies to the birds)

And may I add, the harder to deal with if he sense disrespect coming from his opponent.

And a major difference between American and Chinese politicians (maybe culture too? ) is the latter is able to penetrate the fog/smoke to unearth the substance underlying whereas American polititicians tend to concentrate on appearance and what's on the surface (i.e. Kim's rhetoric and outward behaviors).

And once again, a generalization on my part.