Singapore Expats

Citizenship for baby born overseas

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
alfred2003

Citizenship for baby born overseas

Post by alfred2003 » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 5:22 am

Hi, has anyone ever tried registering for baby born in citizenship-by-birth countries like US or Canada as a Singaporean? Would like to share ur experience if possible.

I look forward to doing so, but still hesitate if the authority will allow it or will just watch u all the way from then on.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:17 am

See this link for more information.

http://app.ica.gov.sg/serv_citizen/citi ... itizen.asp

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 2:21 pm

Both my girls are born in the USA. My initial response was to apply for SG citizenship for them but I changed my mind.

SG allow them dual citizenship up to a certain age, I think up till around 18 years old. At that point, they have to choose to be a citizen of only one country. At that young a age, I doubt they would have the life experience or maturity to know where they really want to be. If they decide to give up the SG citizenship but later decide to settle down in SG and reapply for citizenship status, they will probably have a "bad record" with the SG immigration.

alfred2003

Post by alfred2003 » Thu, 09 Mar 2006 5:11 pm

hi earthfriendly...

So you applied PR for gals instead? or will just leave it alone for a while?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 3:22 am

alfred, I did not do anything and wondering if I should do something about it? See I would like to let the SGean govt know that they may have two additional headcounts to the labor market two decades from now (my girls still toddlers) to help the govt. with their planning :wink: .

SG is in severe shortage of manpower due to the rapidly declining birthrate and I like to help in whatever way I can. In fact, I wanted to have three kids but after the second one, I realize it is beyond my ability to cope. I have been encouraging all my SGean friends and relatives to help in this area but sadly, most are not interested in having more than 2 children. And for some, they don't even want to get married. I dread for my country's future.
Last edited by earthfriendly on Sat, 11 Mar 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

alfred2003

Post by alfred2003 » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 5:21 am

My little gal is the 1st of mine anyway and has already given me too much headache, I doubt if I have the courage to have the 2nd or even 3rd. Yeah just as you said, maybe it's better to leave the dicision to herself by then. However is the application still acceptable till such a later age like 17 or 18?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 5:52 am

I will let her apply the PR herself when she is grown up and makes her decision. At least that's the plan for now.

alfred, it is OK. The first 3 years can be tough especially if this is your first. I know it is very hard to make all these adjustments in our lives and instead of appreciating it and making it easier on the parents, the little ones are all demanding and always insisting on their ways. It was quite traumatic for me too in the beginning. Like most urbanites, I found children very inconvenient. But I really think it is all for the better. With my daughters, I am able to re-live childhood again. See and feel things from her perspective. Dance, shout and make all kinds of funny and silly gestures.

I know you will find it hard to believe. At your old age, you will look back with satisfaction. Like PM Lee Hsien Loong said, kids can be enjoyable. Plus when you have a few of them, an ecosystem developes where they help take care of each other. And seriously, no kid should grow up alone. I have seen many kids from 1-child family. They have a deep sense of loneliness. Some may disagree and said they can always take that one child out for all kinds of activities and interaction with other kids outside. But it it not the same. It is always nice to have a sibling to squable with.

alfred2003

Post by alfred2003 » Sat, 11 Mar 2006 4:24 am

My wife shares your view with both feet, and I will give it a serious consideration too. Thx.