Singapore Expats Forum

Shopping is strange in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 6:03 pm

c'mon no one wants nice smelling armpits but white ones are soooooo important.

Have you stood close to some really rancid people on the elevator/lift/bus/LRT etc . . . (Oh, when they lift their arms to hold on to the thingy in the bus and train . . . [-o<

I would want them to have nice smelling armpits!!!

'nuff said Image

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 6:06 pm

Yea shopping here can be an adventure..just like finding an apartment with the name The Cliten not just Cliten but THE Cliten.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 6:09 pm

I would be embarrased to tell my parents where I lived if it was, you know, the Cliten.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 6:09 pm

Interesting point. I noticed a pervasive smell (which I suspect to be cobination of many body odors but could not really nail it down) in some of the trains (not all). It was indeed terrible and wonder if it is people not taking showers. I never noticed that riding the trains 5 years ago......... or maybe my nose gotten more sensitive as I age.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 6:10 pm

Thanks I will try the florida juice. I do get the fresh squeezed Hawker juice and find it delicious and a bargain at around $1-$1.50 a large cup. It's just the convenience of having nice tasting juice at home. I have been buying the tetra pack juices just juice and golden circle.

The only bread I buy is the high 5, I can't stand the gardenia. I don't mind carre four bread but it isn't available where I shop normally. I do buy the delifrance baguettes which used to be on promo price for 95c now back to $2 each. I really miss Bakers delight though.

I can live with using the Dove deodereant products. The deoderant is mainly a concern for my boyfriend who can really only buy the Nivea one- he doesn't like roll ons or stick type.

I used to eat out a lot at the Hawkers but another thing that gets to me about Singapore is that all the foods tend to be the same. Yes you get a big variety but chicken curry is chicken curry and the recipes don't seem to vary much from stall to stall. Since I noticed large families of rats also dining out at my hawker centre I decided I would be better off cooking at home for a while.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 6:15 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Interesting point. I noticed a pervasive smell (which I suspect to be cobination of many body odors but could not really nail it down) in some of the trains (not all). It was indeed terrible and wonder if it is people not taking showers. I never noticed that riding the trains 5 years ago......... or maybe my nose gotten more sensitive as I age.

Maybe it's people not disposing of their disposable underwear?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 8:21 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:Interesting point. I noticed a pervasive smell (which I suspect to be cobination of many body odors but could not really nail it down) in some of the trains (not all). It was indeed terrible and wonder if it is people not taking showers. I never noticed that riding the trains 5 years ago......... or maybe my nose gotten more sensitive as I age.

Maybe it's people not disposing of their disposable underwear?

Ugh! That's disgusting!!!

'nuff said Image