Singapore Expats Forum

Being a waiter in singapore, would it be good?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

wysnaa

Being a waiter in singapore, would it be good?

Postby wysnaa » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:49 pm

hai everyone...i am a newbie, need advice and tips from seniors here
in the following months, i'll be employed by an hotel or restaurant in singapore as a waiter. my company will cover my housing (apartment) and my meals. and one thing that bothers me :
1. as a waiter in singapore, if i can perform good service, will i get tip from guests? (in short, is it common in Spore to give tips to a servicer?)

2. BTW, i only get 400 SGD a month as my salary, excluded tips a month as my salary. would it be sufficient for me to live a decent life:) (my company will cover my housing (apartment) and my meals) ?

i really appreciate for those who read this post and help me to get information..thank u

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 1:35 pm

Tipping in Singapore is not very common, as there is a 10% service charge it discourages people from tipping. However some people still do if the service is excellent.

$400 doesn't sound very much, but if you don't have to worry about rent or food then it is really pocket money. You will be able to live, just not like a King. If the place you are living is close to your work then you will not have to worry about the cost of commuting everyday either. If you are only getting $400 per month I would check to see that you live close to work as if you have to spend $2 a day on buses that will make a big difference.

Good luck
Last edited by Baron Greenback on Wed, 01 Mar 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 1:38 pm

Agreed. Don't except to make much from tips. They are very rare.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 1:49 pm

Or for the people to be friendly to you

'nuff said Image

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 1:52 pm

Make sure you are clear on the hours expected from you. It would not be unusual for a local in hospitality to work 6x10-12 hour shifts per week. Really for the money you are getting it would be slave labour. You might get sick of eating the restaurant's food every day as well so take that into account.

Siong2
Regular
Regular

Postby Siong2 » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 4:31 pm

$400 is very very low here.
Tips are rare as most bills includes sevice charges.

Mind if I ask where are you from?
Why come all the way to get a $400 job?

4d3L

Postby 4d3L » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:10 pm

i suggest u take up another part-time job if u need have the time... btw $400 is realy low... even if you comp provide u meals, accomodation wise? rental is pretty high in singapore... and yes living standard is pretty high here... for me jus travellin to and fro to work already cost me $3 a day, for work only.

wysnaa

thank u for your advices

Postby wysnaa » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 1:11 pm

yap..i am from indonesia, and would consider this job as a stepping stone for me. honestly it is not really a job, but like an apprentice job for me. so i am not a full employee in this hotel/restaurant.

i really appreciate that u guys be kind enough to me. btw, is it hard to find a part time job for me? i could work till night, i have computer skills and like to meet new people and being friendly to them...:)

and what kind of job that i could take as my part time job?

thank u again

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 6:38 pm

Wow, wysnaa - nice attitude - wish I could help. Please keep trying.

'nuff said Image

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 4:36 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Vaucluse. All the best to you.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Re: thank u for your advices

Postby Scorpion » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 5:47 am

wysnaa wrote:yap..i am from indonesia, and would consider this job as a stepping stone for me. ...

and what kind of job that i could take as my part time job?

thank u again

Are you holding an employment pass, which may not legally allow you to work in other part time job'z. as the rules are strict here.

With your working environment, can suggest to look in part time jobs at mc'donalds or KFC. Guess they have both day an evening shits. Between make sure with your hotel or restaurant, do they allow you to work in other part time jobs.

cheers
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

Siong2
Regular
Regular

Postby Siong2 » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:55 am

Scorpion wrote:Are you holding an employment pass, which may not legally allow you to work in other part time job'z. as the rules are strict here.

With your working environment, can suggest to look in part time jobs at mc'donalds or KFC. Guess they have both day an evening shits. Between make sure with your hotel or restaurant, do they allow you to work in other part time jobs.

cheers

Yeah, better be sure then sorry. In SG, if you done something against what you had signed... your employer can make shit out of you if they wanted to.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Postby Scorpion » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 1:21 pm

Siong2 wrote:.....

Yeah, better be sure then sorry. In SG, if you done something against what you had signed... your employer can make shit out of you if they wanted to.

Siong2.. dn't frighten him too much.. :twisted: , Yup its better for you to discuss these things before signing the contract with your first employer. :)
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

wysnaa

Postby wysnaa » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 3:25 pm

fortunately i have an employment pass and apparently my employer allows me to find part time job:)

.yeah, maybe i could find part time job in mc donalds or kfc, that is a good advice. anybody wants to give another alternative of places i could apply for a part time job?

thank u so much

Siong2
Regular
Regular

Postby Siong2 » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 5:33 pm

Scorpion wrote:Siong2.. dn't frighten him too much.. :twisted: , Yup its better for you to discuss these things before signing the contract with your first employer. :)

Not frightening him. Just that there are lots of foreign labour workers came all the way here and dun reallly know what they had signed before they left their countries and also unsure about the differences between the laws in both countries, all there might lead them to the wrong path not knowing that the consequences can be very serious.

Just a reminder to all of them, ensure and dun assume. :roll:
All the best to all of you. :P
Last edited by Siong2 on Sun, 05 Mar 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.