Singapore Expats

Cost to set up babys room?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
suzandpete

Cost to set up babys room?

Post by suzandpete » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 6:10 am

Hi There,

Will be relocating within the next few months with my husband and 4 mth old son. Am wanting to know if it's worthwhile to ship all of the bubs nursery gear over (cot, change table and so on), or is the cost of purchasing these items when we get there minimal?

Thanks in advance
suzandpete

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 6:33 am

Well it depends on a few things.

Are you, personally paying for the shipping? If not, bring your things. However,

Will you be staying a place large enough to store the items when you no longer need them ?(it seems like that day will never come but believe it sneaks up on you very quickly)

If you bring your crib, etc... will you be willing to selll it here once your son outgrows it? Does it have sentimental value?

Just bear in mind mattress sizes vary between Asia, US, Europe, Australia, so mattresses and bedding could be a problem. Also, like everywhere, there is a huge range of prices for cribs, etc. The changing table at IKEA is S$40, definitely not of 'family heirloom' quality, but will get you through the next 12 months I would think.

You could try to rent a crib and buy your own mattress. I had three cribs in use at my house for a while: we had new, used and rented. It all works out... :wink:

Good luck with your move,

MHB

P.S. Reminds me, when we moved to Singapore 11+ years ago, a used US-made crib was the first thing we bought. I wheeled it from the Colonade apartmnets where I bought it up to my Four Seasons Apartment. Can you imagine? It was the only peice of furniture we had for about a week.

suzandpete

Post by suzandpete » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 7:33 am

Thanks Mary for your thoughts. I hadn't even thought of storage once we no longer need to use this! Yes shipping will be paid for, so I guess it's best for us to bring all we need.

Thanks also for the tip about the mattress size - I was unaware of this....

Cheers
suzandpete

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:22 am

Hope you have a smooth transition, Singapore is a great place for young families :)

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:29 am