Singapore Expats Forum

How Pilipinos became Filipinos in the Philippines

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

renter
Chatter
Chatter

How Pilipinos became Filipinos in the Philippines

Postby renter » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 3:13 pm

The following interesting article is from slate.com

How Pilipinos became Filipinos in the Philippines.
By Daniel Engber
Updated Monday, Feb. 27, 2006, at 3:29 PM ET

On Friday, the president of the Philippines declared a state of emergency to thwart an attempted coup against her regime. Thousands of Filipinos took to the streets in defiance of the emergency order; riot police deployed water cannons to quell the protests. Why aren't people who live in the Philippines called Philippinos? And sometimes they're called Pilipinos—what's the deal with that?

The Philippines have only been called the Philippines (with a "Ph") since the United States bought the country from Spain around the turn of the 20th century, after the Spanish-American War. Under Spanish colonial rule—which extended back to the 16th century—the country had been called "Las Islas Filipinas," after King Felipe II. For Americans, Felipe was Phillip, so Las Filipinas became the Philippines. While the name of the country changed, the name of the nationality did not. Those who lived in the renamed Philippines were still called Filipinos.

The term "Pilipino" derives from the convoluted story of how the Philippines got its national language. There was no official, native language under Spanish and American control. Those living on the islands could be divided into as many as 120 different groups, each with its own way of talking. The desire to create a mother tongue increased when the United States pulled out of the country and the Philippines became a commonwealth in the 1930s. A national institute was given the task of making one of the native languages official.

The institute eventually decided on Tagalog. Speakers of the other languages felt marginalized, and the national language was renamed Pilipino in 1959. Although officially based on Tagalog, Pilipino incorporated elements of the country's other native languages. (The question of whether it's too much like Tagalog is still a source of controversy.)

Why "Pilipino" and not "Filipino"? The developers of the mother tongue looked back to the alphabet that was used before the Spaniards took over (and in the early years of Spanish rule). The native script, called "Baybayin," had fewer than two dozen letters and didn't include the sound for "F." Though the letter "F" had been incorporated into the language during the centuries of Spanish influence, the country's post-colonial leadership chose to return to the original alphabet. Foreign words that used "non-native" sounds were respelled to fit the Baybayin-based alphabet. C's became K's, X's turned into SK's, and the letter F became a P. Filipinos who spoke Tagalog became Pilipinos who spoke Pilipino.

The debate over the national language continued for decades. A constitution written in the early 1970s (drawn up as Ferdinand Marcos instituted an eight-year stretch of martial law) promised to create a new national language called "Filipino." The next constitution, from 1987, made the change official, designating Filipino—which uses a larger alphabet and incorporates foreign sounds—as the national language. With the letter "F" restored, presumably those who speak the national language are now, once again, Filipinos.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 8:39 pm

Erm. Ok. While informative, I wonder why you're posting this on the SINGAPORE EXPAT forum, rather than some Pinoy-specific forum, or linguistic forum?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 1:27 pm

That was a pleasant diversion and something that i always wondered.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

coarls

Postby coarls » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 4:48 pm

Bremen wrote:Erm. Ok. While informative, I wonder why you're posting this on the SINGAPORE EXPAT forum, rather than some Pinoy-specific forum, or linguistic forum?

So it should be called "F" inoy instead of "P" inoy??

:D :D :D
Ad astra per aspera...

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:42 am

coarls wrote:
Bremen wrote:Erm. Ok. While informative, I wonder why you're posting this on the SINGAPORE EXPAT forum, rather than some Pinoy-specific forum, or linguistic forum?

So it should be called "F" inoy instead of "P" inoy??

:D :D :D

Only if you talk to the people from Pampanga province... They always get F and P mixed up. To them it's "Famfanga". :D
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

Diya

Postby Diya » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:08 pm

Does any1 here know how i can order some gift items from Phillipines ?

Been looking our anxiously.....HELP !

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 1:28 pm

Diya wrote:Does any1 here know how i can order some gift items from Phillipines ?

Been looking our anxiously.....HELP !

Yeah, go to myayala.com or filgifts.com

Cheapest would be to ask someone to bring stuff back. What are you looking for?

- Terry Pratchett

Diya

Postby Diya » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 1:37 pm

thnks for the info...i am actually looking for gift boxes, specific for occasions...new birhts...weddigns etc...any thots!?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 2:10 pm

Diya wrote:thnks for the info...i am actually looking for gift boxes, specific for occasions...new birhts...weddigns etc...any thots!?

Eeeeh... Skip the "order from abroad" bit and go look around lucky plaza.

- Terry Pratchett

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Postby GordonGekko » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 8:38 pm

Interesting....but after the latest happenings over there nobody cares. Buckle up, it's gonna be another Marcos-style takeover.... :mad:
You do what you are.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:17 am

GordonGekko wrote:Interesting....but after the latest happenings over there nobody cares. Buckle up, it's gonna be another Marcos-style takeover.... :mad:

No it's not, thank goodness. Seriously, those militant solons have been doing incredible harm to the Phil. Government with all their "revelations" that never had any evidence to back them up, or the "investigations in aid of legislation" that are actually "investigations in aid of re-election".

Seriously, it was high time someone cracked down on them, and I'm glad it's the hard-@$$ed Arroyo who did it. Enough is enough, every time the economy is picking up due to Arroyo's improvements, the militants/leftist solons need to stir up trouble before the masses realize that Arroyo is doing a good job.

- Terry Pratchett

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:18 am

GordonGekko wrote:Interesting....but after the latest happenings over there nobody cares. Buckle up, it's gonna be another Marcos-style takeover.... :mad:

Just remember, 2 of the people *against* Arroyo are Imelda and Imee Marcos. If they get control you'll have your Marcos-style takeover.

- Terry Pratchett

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Postby GordonGekko » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 5:54 am

Hmm...well...I guess what happens next is anybody's guess. I truly hope that Mrs. Arroyo is as squeaky clean as you portray her, but I think it says something about her as a leader, if she doesn't have the armed forces' undivided loyalty.
Still, I'm convinced that if Mrs. Arroyo's plans to silence all opposition isn't stopped, she will try to seize power. After all, the patriotism card and political loyalties card have always been played out by past presidents in the same situation - and both have been ousted.
To me (very far from the left), I don't care about a dictator's last name or political orientation. A dictator is a dictator. Like I said, I really hope that Mrs. Arroyo will stop short of any of that nonsense. :?
You do what you are.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 9:50 am

GordonGekko wrote:Hmm...well...I guess what happens next is anybody's guess. I truly hope that Mrs. Arroyo is as squeaky clean as you portray her, but I think it says something about her as a leader, if she doesn't have the armed forces' undivided loyalty.
Still, I'm convinced that if Mrs. Arroyo's plans to silence all opposition isn't stopped, she will try to seize power. After all, the patriotism card and political loyalties card have always been played out by past presidents in the same situation - and both have been ousted.
To me (very far from the left), I don't care about a dictator's last name or political orientation. A dictator is a dictator. Like I said, I really hope that Mrs. Arroyo will stop short of any of that nonsense. :?

No, she's not squeaky-clean. She's just cleaner than the rest, and actually knows something about economics. ;)

She's not silencing the opposition. They're only arresting the specific few where they have evidence (from recent raids on communist rebels) that they are involved in the armed uprising, or tried to influence the military. The rest of the opposition are left alone, and even the anti-arroyo "Today" newspaper continues to publish.

- Terry Pratchett

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:04 am

I concur with Bremen - Arroyo is a breath of fresh air in the political scene in the Philippines, even Asia.

The rest of the opposition are left alone, and even the anti-arroyo "Today" newspaper continues to publish.

Look at the state of the media around us: Malaysia, China, Indonesia . . . Again, the Philippines looks pretty good.

The military simply has to learn that it has no place in politics, otherwise it cannot be seen as a democracy - why would an eleced government have to kowtow to a general?

Corruption - absolutely, but is Arroyo involved in it or is she stepping on toes trying to clean it up?

'nuff said Image