Singapore Expats Forum

Worst Fate 4 a man:The mind is gone,but the body is here..ag

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 7:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: bushbride, I think you are still missing the point of GC's post.

She didn't say that she would not give her all to take care of her parents/children/spouse.

She is saying the same thing that I am saying. If "I" were the victim of a crippling disease like Parkinsons or Alzheimer’s I would not want to put my family through the emotional and financial rollercoaster that would happen. The fact that they may be willing to do so is another kettle of fish. I have taken that option away from them. This way the grieving period is much shorter and they can get on with their lives. As a parent even at the end I would still be trying to look out for my spouse and children as it were.

sms

Exactly.
One man's meat is another's poison.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 8:21 pm

Plavt wrote: I would imagine SMS and GC are old (don't know about you BB) enough to remember when much of today's world was mere fantasy.

Hummmm....don't know what you define as 'old', but probably would not describe myself as 'old'...I do remember, however, when feckles were 10c a bag at the local corner store - now they are $1 :D

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 8:47 pm

bushbride wrote:GC - not a stab at you at all. It's just my personal view, what I would perfer to do as I mention.

I would give all the financial burden and emotional burden in the world just to have have spent more time with my grandmother. Maybe, I am selfish in that way.

BB, let me just say how very sorry I am for your grandmother's suffering and her subsequent passing. It is apparent that she touched your life in many ways and you feel her loss greatly.

I understand this is an emotional subject and one fraught with many differing views and perspectives. Not too long ago there was much controversy surrounding the case of a young woman in the US (can't recall her name) who had been hooked up to a life support machine for many years. You may recall this as it was all over the media and the controversy ensued between her parents and her ex husband over the right to continue to let her live in this manner or to let her die. This issue turned into an ugly media circus with both sides levelling ugly accusations and was further facilitated with public support groups for and against this.

My husband and I both watched this and I couldn't help thinking that this sort of "living" wasn't for me and when my time comes, I'd like to be able to die with as much dignity as possible. While I expect my family would be there to support and comfort me were I in a similar situation, I would also want them to be clear about what action to take and respect my wishes accordingly. To avoid the burden of guilt I could unwittingly place on their shoulders by the choice I make regarding my life, I would do as SMS has.
Last edited by Global Citizen on Fri, 24 Feb 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 8:48 pm

bushbride wrote:
Plavt wrote: I would imagine SMS and GC are old (don't know about you BB) enough to remember when much of today's world was mere fantasy.

Hummmm....don't know what you define as 'old', but probably would not describe myself as 'old'...I do remember, however, when feckles were 10c a bag at the local corner store - now they are $1 :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D

A little off topic but I don't know how to define old but SMS along with myself are already nominated SE too - now I really am in trouble.

To be more specific the aforementioned three will remember the days when there was no colour television, VCR's, cell phone, CD players, remote controls, voice activated computers, those damn dentists who wouldn't give you an injection in order to do a filling. Then of course my dear old mum a former nurse who would be good and truly lost in one today’s hospitals and who’s training by now almost irrelevant and obsolete.

Hope this clarifies a few things and enjoy the leisure of your youth BB (where possible and not meaning trying to be sarcastic).

:)

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 9:41 pm

bushbride wrote:Hummmm....don't know what you define as 'old', but probably would not describe myself as 'old'...I do remember, however, when feckles were 10c a bag at the local corner store - now they are $1 :D

What the feck are feckles? :wink: I can remember when 10¢ would buy enough hard rock candy and the corner store to give you a stomach ache.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:30 pm

sms - thanks re dnr thing - wife says i don't need to worry as she would pull the plug herself..
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:01 pm

Wham wrote:sms - thanks re dnr thing - wife says i don't need to worry as she would pull the plug herself..

Sounds like you need to be a light sleeper! :mrgreen:

kidding lah! :mrgreen:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:11 pm

Wham wrote:wife says i don't need to worry as she would pull the plug herself..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you mean you are in real life exactly the way you are on this board?

kidding lah 2! :P