Singapore Expats Forum

Older workers are difficult to get a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 10:52 am

earthfriendly wrote:
Cheekybeek wrote:Yeah sheesh, I should have been using my whitening cream so I would look better in my photo they required for the application. The whiter the better but don't go being white or you'll be in for some issues.

Cheekybeeky, apperently you are as obsessed about whitening cream as the SGean girls. Don't forget to bring home a jar or two when you go back to your country as sovenirs, as they are not readily available outside of Asia. Even though many American and european companies produce such products, they are not available there as it caters to asian market e.g. max factir, estee lauder ...

Umm...I think Cheekybeek was being sarcastic. :lol:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 3:49 am

e2rd2006 wrote:Thanks for advice earthfriendly. Actually we are looking for a better life. There's no use to bear any grudge to anyone or any country. All we are looking for is a better life, a safer place for our family, aren't we? I guess country like Singapore could offer that all better?

Rgrds
EDWARD

Edward, I wish you succes and hope you are able to locate to SG. But if it does not realize, try looking for another country. Like another poster said, you may want to lower your bar just so you can get away from the violent environment. Keep up your good spirit.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 3:51 am

Sapphire, I also replied out of sarcasm. That's the thing about writen words. Without actually see the person's expression or body language, you don't know the real intention.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:12 am

earthfriendly wrote:Sapphire, I also replied out of sarcasm. That's the thing about writen words. Without actually see the person's expression or body language, you don't know the real intention.

I figured as much... but for someone being sarcastic you also seemed surprisingly helpful (just in case I did really want the cream). Never mind I think I should give up on slamming the whitening products. I guess singaporean girls might think fake tan and bronzer (not that I use those either) were a ridiculous idea.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 3:08 pm

Cheekybeeky, right on. Many chinese girls like myself, could not for the life of us, understand this tanning obsession. The fact that people risk their life by exposing themselves to so much sun, not to mention premature wrinkling. Joan Collins secret for her youthful look is her hat. I hope more women will get it.

It was incredulous when I saw this European lady at the Bali beach sunning her naked body. Her body was so tanned (or burnt's the more appropriate word) and wrinkly-looking. And I could totally tell it was prematurely so as her tan was not fresh-looking but cumulated over time. I badly wanted to go up to her and tell her to stop harming her health. There is still no cure for skin cancer and from what I gather, it is one of the worst form of cancer a person could possibly contract.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 6:02 pm

True but you also got to admit that when you see elderly chinese ladies with very bowed legs due to rickets. staying out of the sun can come to harm as well. A bit of sense for both parties and a bit less vanity might be all that's needed.

Taos

Time to RETRAIN the EMPLOYER!

Postby Taos » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 7:24 pm

Ageism we know quite a bit from the discussions here. The hit rate of an over 40s person getting a job is very low. In fact, i have known of some people who spoke well, looked good, had a conscise yet informative CV, possessed the qualifications for the job, AND didnt expect more than offered or more than market rate... but these people didnt even get an interview!!! Yes, into the bin or bottom of the pile it went.

Here are some of the reasons that HR people have given
(I use the word older but i personally think "old" is in the mind! However for the sake of this post i am using the word)

- Older people are rigid and not adaptable (generalising and making a judgement on someone you havent met yet!.. If you look at someone's CV and you see that they have worked in different types of organisations, held different roles, lived in different countries, does that not give you an idea that perhaps this person might actually be very adaptable?)

- Older people cannot mix with younger people (really? Again another generalisation and judgement. And what about the many bosses and/or head of depts in your company who are younger than you? If they thought so, wouldnt they fire all the older people? and vice versa if there was an older boss and younger subordinates?)

- Older people expect more money (I know of many 'older' people who have said they would be willing to accept the salary stated in the advert)

- Older people can fall ill (this is so sad and pathetic! Lets all take out the MCs now and look at the ages of the people who have been on regular MCs)

- Older people are slower (another sad and pathetic reason. Older people are experienced and therefore able to think on their feet faster! They can see the big picture!)

Now I am not saying there arent older people who dont have the negative traits mentioned above... but there are 'younger' people who also have the same traits. My point simply is this- treat every CV equally!! The moment you have that little dark voice whispering "aiyah, 40 something ah?" tell the voice to go take a hike and look at the CV again... without judgement.

I dont know if all i have said here is going to make an iota of difference. The HR person may say ok, but the hiring manager may say no-- and usually its two things- race or age.. if its age, its for his/her prejudices as listed above OR his/her fear that a more experienced person may be a threat, that the older person might be able to see through his/her B..S..

So for long suffering older workers..here's a suggestion.... band together... form a group., support each other, network, keep looking within, self develop, sharpen skills or learn new ones, reach for support on down days, on up days go out there and send out the letters, pick up the phone and talk to the managers.. many 'older' workers i know got jobs only because of internal contacts... someone managed to get the CV seen... thank goodness for them.. otherwise... it would be in the email thrash box.

Lots of hype in the newspapers, lots of talk..but nothing concrete. It isnt the older workers who need re-training,,, its the HIRING and HR managers who need to be trained in a whole new way of thinking and seeing the 'older' worker!

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:12 pm

Great post, Taos. You just about summed it up. :)
One man's meat is another's poison.

Taos

Ta!

Postby Taos » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 5:56 pm

Global Citizen wrote:Great post, Taos. You just about summed it up. :)

Thanks GC... maybe i should cut and paste and send to the papers and hope they put this somewhere where the employers can read it.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Re: Ta!

Postby sapphire » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 6:52 pm

Taos wrote:
Global Citizen wrote:Great post, Taos. You just about summed it up. :)

Thanks GC... maybe i should cut and paste and send to the papers and hope they put this somewhere where the employers can read it.

Yup, you should! Excellent post indeed.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.