Singapore Expats Forum

Older workers are difficult to get a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 1:48 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:Ughhhh just got a big fat NO again when calling in about a similar position. The guy said 'we are looking for a male' or maybe he said Malay??? either way seems a bit strange to me.

You certainly don't look like a male malay in your photo.

Keep trying, CB

'nuff said Image

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 2:01 pm

Yeah sheesh, I should have been using my whitening cream so I would look better in my photo they required for the application. The whiter the better but don't go being white or you'll be in for some issues.

4d3L

Postby 4d3L » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:14 pm

but i do realise one thing, the fact tat most pple still take into consideration on experiences as well... not tat much on qualifications i suppose?...

and who say 35yrs have not much value etc... i known some1 whose still workin and very much still in demand... it all depends on the individual to decide their market value.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 8:39 am

4d3L wrote:but i do realise one thing, the fact tat most pple still take into consideration on experiences as well... not tat much on qualifications i suppose?...

and who say 35yrs have not much value etc... i known some1 whose still workin and very much still in demand... it all depends on the individual to decide their market value.

#-o Our forum has picked up another bright spark.

'nuff said Image

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:56 am

Wow, you mean there is somone over 35 in the workforce in Singapore? AND they're valued? I thought that sort of thing was basically unheard of, what is the world coming to?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:34 am

Cheekybeek wrote:Wow, you mean there is somone over 35 in the workforce in Singapore? AND they're valued? I thought that sort of thing was basically unheard of, what is the world coming to?

Yes, and 4d3L knows that one person.

'nuff said Image

e2rd2006

Postby e2rd2006 » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:21 am

Sure there is a lot of workforce over 35 years old in Singapore. The problem is for people who're trying to get first time job in singapore like me.. My experience is 9 years in Japan leasing co'y in Indonesia. Does it support my efforts to get a job in singapore. I need your advice Vaucluse.

Thanks
EDWARD

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 8:13 am

I'll send you a pm

'nuff said Image

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:19 am

Good luck Edward. Sorry if we hijacked your thread and filled it full of sarcasm and nonsense. I think the best thing you can do is attempt to make as many contacts as possible. The more people you know the easier it should be for you to find a job. If you are in real estate I think you can set up your own business as a freelance agent. You do not need to have any registration etc to be an agent just need to get yourself an entreprenuer pass. I think you will have to submit a business plan to MOM. Estate agents are in high demand, you will have to learn about the laws in this country, what fees to charge, how to write up an acceptable contract then just start getting yourself some clients. Hope this helps.

e2rd2006

Postby e2rd2006 » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:48 am

It's OK CB. I get a lot of useful information from the "nonsense" :wink: . It really help me gathering information as much as possible before deciding to apply. Thanks again

EDWARD

e2rd2006

Postby e2rd2006 » Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:51 am

It's OK CB. I got a lot of information from the "nonsense" :wink: It really help me gathering as much information before deciding to apply for a job. Thanks again

EDWARD

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:10 am

Vaucluse wrote:
4d3L wrote:but i do realise one thing, the fact tat most pple still take into consideration on experiences as well... not tat much on qualifications i suppose?...

#-o Our forum has picked up another bright spark.

Cheekybeek wrote:Wow, you mean there is somone over 35 in the workforce in Singapore? AND they're valued? I thought that sort of thing was basically unheard of, what is the world coming to?

Aiyo, don't make fun of him/her lah. I also talk like that sometimes and it totally crack my hubby up. And after he pointed it out, I feel like a dumb blonde (oooops, I mean dumb black...... ooops perhaps I should say dumb Chin). I know it sounds a little childish but sometimes that's how SGean see the world lah. I used to associate it with narrow-mindedness but after spending 17 years overseas and more wordly-wise, I have become very fond of this aspect of our nature. There is certain child-like quality about it.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:20 am

Cheekybeek wrote:Yeah sheesh, I should have been using my whitening cream so I would look better in my photo they required for the application. The whiter the better but don't go being white or you'll be in for some issues.

Cheekybeeky, apperently you are as obsessed about whitening cream as the SGean girls. Don't forget to bring home a jar or two when you go back to your country as sovenirs, as they are not readily available outside of Asia. Even though many American and european companies produce such products, they are not available there as it caters to asian market e.g. max factir, estee lauder ...

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:27 am

Edward, unfortunately, I don't have much input on SG job market but I wish you good luck. I have met a few Chinese Indonesians in USA. They hardly mention about the prosecution back home (I actually gather most of it from non-Indonesian friends working there and encountered the same issue). They don't seem to bear any grudge against the country or the perpetrators and take it all in good stride. I admire their spirit and stoicism.

e2rd2006

Postby e2rd2006 » Sun, 05 Mar 2006 9:20 am

Thanks for advice earthfriendly. Actually we are looking for a better life. There's no use to bear any grudge to anyone or any country. All we are looking for is a better life, a safer place for our family, aren't we? I guess country like Singapore could offer that all better?

Rgrds
EDWARD