Singapore Expats Forum

Older workers are difficult to get a job?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Trish
Regular
Regular

Postby Trish » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 6:06 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Yes it is my picture and I am 32 years old.

Would you like to go on a date - don't worry you will get used to peole staring at us because of my handsome features.

It's obviously not how Vaucluse look like. :???:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 7:16 pm

Trish wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Yes it is my picture and I am 32 years old.

Would you like to go on a date - don't worry you will get used to peole staring at us because of my handsome features.

It's obviously not how Vaucluse look like. :???:

Spoilsport!

Maybe donno is entranced by my rugged handsome features. (and doesn't watch the news or read newspapers)

Also, I have this bridge to sell for a very good price, also a few acres of seafront property near Ayers Rock.

'nuff said Image

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 7:33 pm

Donno can read? Surely not, if it were true then all his comments would make sense! :lol:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 7:56 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:SMS have you done every job there is to do in the world? Seems like you have hads heaps of different experiences.

I rang up for a job today that has walk in interviews all this week for about 10 types of positions in a hotel. I asked to speak to the HR person and when I introduced myself and said I was interested in attending the walk-in etc she just said 'what's your nationality, do you have PR' I answer no she says 'all jobs are filled'. I have a job lined up for July but it isn't my ideal job but as I'm only on a social pass I guess beggars can't be choosers.

If you are not a Singaporean or PR, and you are not applying for a job that requires a P1, P2 or S Pass, then the employer is subject to strict ratios of work permits to local workers... 5 locals for 1 permit if I remember. So, although the question might sound racist it probably has more to do with government work permit practices.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 8:23 pm

haiyah!!! i think ah, e govt muz do somethin so older pple can work wher they wan ah!! if lik tis ah, very suei!!!

i oso c, boss onli wan those speak chinez.. lik tis where got multi racial??? u noe!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 8:42 pm

donno wrote:haiyah!!! i think ah, e govt muz do somethin so older pple can work wher they wan ah!! if lik tis ah, very suei!!!

i oso c, boss onli wan those speak chinez.. lik tis where got multi racial??? u noe!!

May I suggest you pay a little more attention in your School English lessons. My neice has a better grasp of the English Language than you do and she's only 3 :roll:

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 8:45 pm

PCK oso lik me u noe!!! don play play ah or not i beat u, i call ah beng 90210 n beat ur face..

PCK cannot talk english good oso can b good in life u noe..

he gd in JB, singapore n some say batam... i heard ah, people say international oso have!!! ciayo!!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 8:50 pm

'Thick' comes to mind at every one of donno's postings.

'nuff said Image

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 8:52 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Cheekybeek wrote:SMS have you done every job there is to do in the world? Seems like you have hads heaps of different experiences.

I rang up for a job today that has walk in interviews all this week for about 10 types of positions in a hotel. I asked to speak to the HR person and when I introduced myself and said I was interested in attending the walk-in etc she just said 'what's your nationality, do you have PR' I answer no she says 'all jobs are filled'. I have a job lined up for July but it isn't my ideal job but as I'm only on a social pass I guess beggars can't be choosers.

If you are not a Singaporean or PR, and you are not applying for a job that requires a P1, P2 or S Pass, then the employer is subject to strict ratios of work permits to local workers... 5 locals for 1 permit if I remember. So, although the question might sound racist it probably has more to do with government work permit practices.

It was a guest relations executive position. I have a Bachelor of Tourism and 5 years customer service exp. I would hope for an S-pass. They had this and other more exec jobs on offer but I wasn't asked which position I was interested in just my nationality. I was then LIED to and told all positions were filled, no way as they just started the walk-ins and had write in positions as well. She could have just said I'm sorry but we require PR... fair enough.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Mon, 27 Feb 2006 9:04 pm

Dear CheekyBeek,

After reading yor post, i feel sorry for you and i hope you will try to apply for more hotels. With your good qualifications, i can't see why the hotel doesnt want you.

On today's THE NEW PAPER, an indonesian student in singapore who finished his school and have a certificate in front desk, applied for many jobs in hotels but the hotels rejected him because they want Malaysian or Singaporeans on. According to him, the hotels didnt want to spend on too much time on the person's working permit, visa and stuff..

I feel you should tell the government about this matter before it is too late.

Donno

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blancD » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 2:19 am

thats a valid reason really... but sometimes when you come to think of it.. sounds like discrimination!! :o

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 8:44 am

No it isn't discrimination as I am not legally allowed to work. No need to lie to me about the jobs being filled though, she could have said they dont take non PRs.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 3:47 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:No it isn't discrimination as I am not legally allowed to work. No need to lie to me about the jobs being filled though, she could have said they dont take non PRs.

Cheekybeek, In her eyes {ears} she probably didn't lie to you. She probably had only a very small percentage of openings for foreign workers requiring E/Q/S/WP passes if any. So if those/that position(s) was filled she was confortable in telling you that all the jobs have been filled (you did say she told you this AFTER you told her your nationality/status, etc.)

While you and I would have explained it differently re: PR or Local only are suitable because of caps or whatever, they don't feel the need.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 4:51 pm

Yeah well I don't mind being knocked back if they don't wanna hire without PR. They had advertised approx 10 different TYPES of positions there may have been more openings. I called as soon as they had opened for walk ins and didn't tell her which position I was interested in so I find it hard to believe they had filled every single job. Oh well her loss! I'm just gonna keep looking, in the mean time I am hoping to join the Zoo docent program and have a cafe manager job offer for later in the year BECAUSE i'm caucasian. Funny how discrimination goes...

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:52 pm

Ughhhh just got a big fat NO again when calling in about a similar position. The guy said 'we are looking for a male' or maybe he said Malay??? either way seems a bit strange to me.