Singapore Expats Forum

Working in Indonesia

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Ship Shape
Regular
Regular

Working in Indonesia

Postby Ship Shape » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 2:49 pm

I am considering accepting a construction project management job for a year in northern Indonesia with a charity to rebuild villages affected by the tsunami. After reading a posting by Edward (whose wife was badly beaten up) and other articles on the rise of violent attacks in Indonesia I am not sure that it will be safe to take this job being a white male in his early 30's. I will of course be bring this up with the charity at my next meeting.

Anyone got any experience of working in Indo?

Cheers

e2rd2006

Postby e2rd2006 » Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:38 pm

Halo Ship shape, I am sorry to hear that you now are in doubt working in Indonesia because of my wife's experience. I also do not believe it happened to my family. The important thing is do not trust any stranger and do not allow stranger in your house even they seem to be so nice. Also you should not trust every one you know in Indonesia ( especially from lower class society such as driver, your servant, etc) because I know a lot of crimes done by some close to the victim in Indonesia because they realy need money and they see a chance to do it.

I hope this could help you consider working in Indonesia and please always be carefull.

EDWARD

cygnus1

in

Postby cygnus1 » Fri, 17 Feb 2006 8:01 pm

ship shape

e2rd... has some points there. I am an Indonesian citizen myself, and yes I would not recommend you to work here. Especially in areas like Aceh.
You have no idea of what is going on here in Indonesia.
One day everything is OK, and the next day....trust me..you don't want to know...
I'm deeply sorry to be the one who is telling you all these bad things.
It's simply just my opinion....