Singapore Expats Forum

Sport Climbing - About belaying safety

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ropey

Postby ropey » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 1:25 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:oh sorry i misunderstood. but if it was a student making the mistake then what is the dilemma?

I guess I worried too much about how he will think (some people are very sensitive, thin skinned). It's all ok now.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 2:13 am

What's the problem? Spit it out to someone, better the instructor. No-one likes to be told by a 'novice' even a good hearted one.

If you can't take the worry, do something about it. You'd feel awful if the person doing things wrong had an accident....well, feel a bit to blame perhaps.

I'm only just learning not to open my mouth and say, 'Ah, not like that' or 'Why don't you do this'...to the kids. Mine, I mean. It's a hard lesson knowing when not to, but in an open, sporting areana either feel part of the sport, i.e. responsible enough to speak up, or really, change your sport as this may become too much of a worry for you, it's a dangerous activity after all.

Good luck.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 4:21 pm

Hi ropey! I had the same problem before. But i think u should just prove your point to him in a tactful way.

1. Go to the belayer and say: Cool! thats a new method! I haven't seen this before. Can i give it a go? But wait.. if i do it this way,won't my fingers get stuck if that idiot falls off the wall?
2. show him his respect and ask: what is the proper way to do it? :wink:

i hope this will help and nobody has been injured yet. I sprained 2 fingers before in a similar scenerio because my instructer didn't give proper instructions before i belayed. :mad:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...