Singapore Expats Forum

Assignment

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lalamama

Assignment

Postby lalamama » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:15 pm

Hey ya all, me n my frens r doin a project on foreigners/expats living in singapore .. we need someone to give us an interview on how they adapted to the lifestyle here, and whther they had ani probs understanding singaporeans as in singlish (blah Blah) ... i promise tat it will be a short one ... ani kind soul willing to help ... it will be much appreciated ... btw its due next week .. reply asap!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:29 pm

Sorry, can't understand what you want.

'nuff said Image

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:38 pm

google is no help either :roll:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:47 pm

Eh, what?

I think you're asking for help from expats, is that right?

Doh, why do I hate to see that spelling of yours. I know, I know, it's modern and popular and so I must be an old fogey, right?

I'm not, but I guess I should grow to love it.....(she says, pulling her hair out!)

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Re: Assignment

Postby sapphire » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:38 am

lalamama wrote:Hey ya all, me n my frens r doin a project on foreigners/expats living in singapore .. we need someone to give us an interview on how they adapted to the lifestyle here, and whther they had ani probs understanding singaporeans as in singlish (blah Blah) ... i promise tat it will be a short one ... ani kind soul willing to help ... it will be much appreciated ... btw its due next week .. reply asap!

On a forum how does it help to type ani instead of any? Or tat instead of that? Or n instead of and? Or frens instead of friends? I can understand that somehow it is convenient to type like that in a sms, but why on a forum where you have the freedom to type properly, where there's no limit to usage of words? Why oh why?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:39 am

Perhaps there should be a new group to add to the discussion forums, General discussions, computer, etc etc & help with homework
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:45 am

Anyway, it should be:

my frens n i r doin

not

me n my frens r doin

Sheesh . . . get it right!

'nuff said Image

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:50 am

lalamama wrote:Hey ya all, me n my frens r doin a project on foreigners/expats living in singapore .. we need someone to give us an interview on how they adapted to the lifestyle here, and whther they had ani probs understanding singaporeans as in singlish (blah Blah) ... i promise tat it will be a short one ... ani kind soul willing to help ... it will be much appreciated ... btw its due next week .. reply asap!

Gd 2 kno sch stdnts thse days r encrgd 2 do resrchs!

..Singrish plobem? No lah..where got!?
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:18 am

lalamama wrote: whther they had ani probs understanding singaporeans as in singlish (blah Blah) ...

All the posts so far prove you right. Your own written english is difficult for expats to understand.

BTW: I'm not a native english-speaker. ;)

Here's a quick answer for you:

1. Adapting to life in Sinagpore is not all that hard if you're adventurous with food. If you're not, then it can take a while to identify what tastes good. ;)

2. Singlish is that hardest adjustment, especially when trying to listed to the youth nowadays. Usually, english sentences consist of syllables clearly constructed and joined into words. These words have a pause between them to clearly separate them, and groups of words, called sentences, have a flow, and are separated by another pause, and usually a change in pronounciation to either indicate a full stop, an exclamation, or a question. Singlish, on the other hand, treats each individual syllable as a word, and relies on lah/leh/lor/one/etc, as well as non-english grammar, to indicate if it's a question/exclamation or normal sentence. Let's take the following example (sentences modified to help reflect pronounciation):

English:
Hey, what's wrong? Why are you so angry? Why did you have to act that way?

Singlish?
what-wrong-leh-why-you-ang-ry-lor-have-to-act-liddat-one?

:shock:

;)
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

lalamama

Postby lalamama » Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:56 pm

Sorry folks, i did not know that you all will have a hard time reading that. I am very used to typing like that. Anyways, i have already found someone who is willing to give me an interview. :D

Return to “General Discussions”