Singapore Expats Forum

Legal advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 1:28 pm

cheria wrote:if let's say my bro is not a registered occupant, can they seized the furnitures?

sometimes i just want to leave this horrible place..

tiki you're right, it can't happening and this time round is the worse..

Well if he is not a registered occupant he must be one somewhere. If that is the case then all his letter would be addressed to that place and no one would come knocking at yours.

..why are the people coming to yours and confiscating stuff? He must be a registered occupant as the records will show his place of residence. Unless he is renting a place somewhere else, by which he should register that address. It is an offence not to do so.

...let him have it.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Ship Shape
Regular
Regular

Postby Ship Shape » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 3:57 pm

This is not really related to the above but interesting all the same.

I am not a lawyer but often represent clients in court as an expert witness.

As an expat I find it amazing how many cases end up in court that could so easily be settled through mediation or some other means. It seems that the Chinese fear of losing face is very important and some will go to enormous lengths to preserve 'face'. This inevitably results in a much higher monetary outlay at the end than if they had simply agreed both were somewhat at fault or just rectified the problem themselves.

It appears that preserving face can be a costly business. I would be really interested to hear any Chinese / Asian views on preserving face.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 4:50 pm

Ship Shape wrote:This is not really related to the above but interesting all the same.

I am not a lawyer but often represent clients in court as an expert witness.

Expert witness? Sorry, but I am a little confused. What exactly is an expert witness? Is it like a doctor or forensic scientist or something that gives an opinion in court?....just curious.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 4:55 pm

"Expert witness" I guess by the picture it is because they are so good (at) looking :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 5:09 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:"Expert witness" I guess by the picture it is because they are so good (at) looking :)

Ha ha. :D

BTW I love Orangutans. thinking of going and joining some field scientists to study them for a month or so.

cheria

Postby cheria » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 6:48 pm

i get what you mean..all this won't be happening if my bro didn't avoid his partner's call for several months. If he had negotiate well, this won't be happening. waste of time & waste of legal fees, you could have use that legal fees to pay all part of the debt..

so dumb..really don't know why he's so stupid, not the first time he got cheated, can you believe someone at the age of 26 still believe he can purchase from china all those authentic LV, GUCCi & other branded stuff at 30% of the original retail price and he can purchase handphones from a nigerian at 50% off the price..

really feel like puking blood..too naive man..all this money has been given by my mum and when i just want to borrow money from her to study, she said no way..arrrggghhhh...guess this is her retribution..

is there anyway i can sue by bro as well, since he owe me money as well and i have an IOU..i should get whatever i can seize before all are gone.\

does a receipt really prove that you have purchase the item? can i show my bank book or other things? i just want to prove that the washing machine & fridge are bought by my mum but she didn't keep any form of prove that she has purchased the item, except for bank book, money going out & out..

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 6:52 pm

Ship Shape wrote:I would be really interested to hear any Chinese / Asian views on preserving face.

are we talking anti-ageing creams and such? :P

ok ok im chinese but have the good fortune of having parents who are sensible and make decisions according to logic rather than emotion. also acquired a little of the "i don't give a damn" attitude from having lived in a western culture for a while. so 'face' or 'mianzi' is not that big for me, unlike other families where i know 'mianzi' is one of the factors affecting a decision.

still, if you want my take and of course this is a very broad generalisation: asian society with its large and usually close-knit extended families and family-run businesses means that word gets around quickly and sometimes people judge you on the basis of rumour which affects career and even marriage prospects... so it's important to maintain a good clean reputation. of course there's the ego bit as well.

what annoys me though is when i disagree with a westerner on some topic on the basis of principle and before the discussion even gets off the ground he accuses me of trying to save face. gosh there goes all good sense out the window. so this face thing can be taken a bit too far when used against any chinese person who disagrees with your way of thinking.
Last edited by Wind In My Hair on Wed, 22 Feb 2006 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 6:54 pm

cheria, your situation sounds rather serious. do get a lawyer who can help you work through the nitty gritties. sounds like you have a case but this is not the right place to get advice especially if you intend to act on it. all the best!

cheria

Postby cheria » Wed, 22 Feb 2006 7:16 pm

it's not that i don't want to get a lawyer..i'll be scolded and even get more condemn if i get one..my whole family will hate me like hell cause i "kapo" too much..

what kind of family is this, if i try to help them end up i get scolded..

probably like wht Ship Shape has mentioned asians just care too much about your "face" issue..

Ship Shape
Regular
Regular

Postby Ship Shape » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 3:28 pm

is there anyway i can sue by bro as well, since he owe me money as well and i have an IOU..i should get whatever i can seize before all are gone.\

Woah there! Theres one thing saving face and another destroying your family! From what you have said I think it is unlikely that you are going to get your money back from your brother. He may have been naiive and has made some bad decisions but I'm sure he didnt do this to intentionally hurt your wallet. If you sue him I doubt you and him will ever be friends again and the effect it will have on your family is far more important that money in the long term. Also I dont think you would be successful in court#.

Hard as it is to take losing money I'd cut my losses and move on. Fingers burnt, lessons learnt.

# This is not legal advice and should not be used to influence any decision made by the parties involved. I would advise you seek independent legal advice before proceeding with any action. :(

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 3:36 pm

Nice caveat ship shape :)

*Forum posts may go up as well as down*
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

Ship Shape
Regular
Regular

Postby Ship Shape » Wed, 01 Mar 2006 3:49 pm

Its a sad, letigious world we live in! ](*,)

Theres nothing you cant sort out with a game of scissor, paper, stone.