Singapore Expats Forum

The Desker Road Story

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

The Desker Road Story

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 8:12 am

Not sure if I've told you this one.....but anyway....

So, there I was, strolling down Serengoon Road one sunny Sunday morning, hubby taken kids iceskating....(long time ago now, remember the ice rink up top Serengoon, near KK?)....me, up and down streets, looking at materials, joss sticks, cheapy gimmick shops, nice restarant shops.....and the whole area was brimming with families, etc. Lovely day.

So, me being inquisitive, I like to cut down back streets, see the buildings, take pickkies to paint afterwards and I see a really quaint looking alleyway, looked like a market was there, little tables on the sides.....so off I go, down the street............ARRRRGH.........

I'd gone half way up it before I realised I was the only female there....typical Brit, striding up, taking pics of the old buildings....and getting very weird looks from....as I realised, the men.....

I started to get a bit scared then, as when I looked into the 'little buildings' I saw all the 'working girls'....well, you could have knocked me down with a feather....I thought Singapore was so squeaky clean. And the stalls? Oh, they were selling condoms and anti nasty diseases tablets etc. I walked PDQ with my eyes on the floor and did the whole street in about two minutes. Scared or what? Not that the blokes spoke or did anything untoward, but I was very careful after that to only go where I saw other women walking too.

Doh, girl from the valleys strikes again.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:23 am

Similiar experience...I was wondering around Little India with my male friend. We stunmbled across a lane way with men standing around door ways. I remember saying "oh there must be a soccer game playing on TV inside". Soon realised that there was something very different being watch.

We were walking down the lane and I was definately surprised what we saw when we looked in the door ways.

I also was surprised at the way these men looked at me. A full stripping down with their eyes. It felt creepy, but definatley an experience.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:26 pm

Sad to say that I had a very similar experience.

I was apartment looking a few weeks ago and noticed that there were some well priced appartments around Gaylang. I was sure that I would get the best bargin with the closeness to the train, buses to the city, and the size of the appartments for my dollars.

Well, I was right about all that, but on investigation...Hello!!! the red light district at the door step! So incredibly embarissed and, with plenty of people willing to remind me of such a blunder, it will never be forgotten.
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:34 pm

:D But did anyone preposition you ladies? Ask how much or anything like that? :D
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 9:33 pm

Nah, Baron, guess I was too wishy washy looking for them, plus the fact that I looked as if I'd seen a ghost and was trying to outrun it!

Wonder how much those girls earn for each customer? Or do they get paid per 10, or 20? Yuck.

Seriously, if anyone knows....(we know it won't be from personal experience guys) how much is it to visit one of the 'girls' there do you think?

I have no idea what it is here in the UK, guess, erm, perhaps £30 to £50 quid cheap end, then who knows what on the expensive end. (Puns not intended, lol)

Think of the danger they're in, but I guess at least in Desker Road and other places around the world like it the girls have at least got the protection of the 'Mamma' or whoever those very old ladies were. DON'T tell me they were still doing business, that's very strange.

Dylan Thomas.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:04 pm

Perhaps the following link will answer your question Bubbles (and before you ask no I am most definitely not a participant in such activities!
http://www.sammyboy.com/comsex.html

Plavt
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:06 pm

Plavt wrote:Perhaps the following link will answer your question Bubbles (and before you ask no I am most definately not a a particpant in such activities!)

http://www.sammyboy.com/comsex.html

Plavt.

You might want to stick a "Not Work Friendly Website" warning on that mate :wink:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:07 pm

A very good idea Saint, depends how friendly work is though. :lol:

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:35 pm

HE HE HE Plavt, and :shock: :o :shock: :o .....fun reading though!!

Dylan Thomas.

superfurryanimal

Postby superfurryanimal » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 2:45 am

From some of the books, sites etc I've come across, as well as from hearsay, the 'working girls' in massage parlours, Geylang brothels and Orchard Towers cost around $150-$200.. I haven't got a clue about those in Desker Road but $10-20??? I can't possibly imagine.. you gotta be having a laugh!

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 9:32 am

if i recall correctly its about 50 bucks, minimum. Read it in an article.. 10 bucks is extremely pathetic., don't u agree?
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

superfurryanimal

Postby superfurryanimal » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 9:52 am

How on earth can it only cost $50??? :o :o

There is alot of inside information on the sex trade covered in the book 'No Money, No Honey'.. the book was a bestseller when first published and I think it is still widely available at all major bookstores.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:39 pm

i dunno.. probably for the price of a cold fish... :P :P
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 1:45 pm

plavt, that link was hilarious, thanks!