Singapore Expats Forum

Ugly ducklings transformed into Swans

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Ugly ducklings transformed into Swans

Postby Kimi » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:21 am

Was watching the reality TV show, The Swan, for the first time tonight and it came to dawn into me as if the conclusions of the result of this transformation, assuming it's a good result, are:
1. People especially women hold close relation between their confidence and their looks.
There was the below comment on the winner of the pageant for example:
Stiles, who underwent numerous medical procedures and a major weight-loss plan, claimed the "The Swan" tiara and more than $300,000 in cash and prizes during Monday night's show, the New York Post reported.

"The sad end of her marriage temporarily threw Stiles into an emotional retreat, but she pulled herself up by the bootstraps and charged forward to her new look," the Post said. Executive Producer Nely Galan said Stiles worked the hardest and "emerged a gorgeous woman, who I know will be very successful in life."

Only what sort of bothers me, the sound of the above comment is that only beautiful people who can be successful as the beauty is the result of a type of hard work, when it can also be more of "a gift since born" type of thing in times... what do you reckon?

2. People also would have good attitude and reasonable confindence, when being exposed to positive environment as well, such as receiving encouragement rather than undermining criticism, which is why the provision of a phychiatrist.

3. People need one of those "breaks" and in times either one makes their own breaks or by luck the break falls on to your lap, which one you reckon or what you believe I suppose?

On another note, what is it with blokes trying to "transform" their girlfriends whom they're going to marry for example, to "work on" their looks, as if it's going to change the personality of the future wife whether she still stays the same or not...?

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Ugly ducklings transformed into Swans

Postby k1w1 » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 9:48 pm

Kimi wrote:Only what sort of bothers me is that only beautiful people who can be successful as the beauty is the result of a type of hard work, when it can also be more of "a gift since born" type of thing in times... what do you reckon?

It's a tad depressing for mere mortals, but it has been proven (don't ask me where or by whom) that people deemed "beautiful" are more successful than their average counterparts. The theory (or one of the theories) is that we tend to like them more as we think they will be nicer, because they *look* like they would be nicer, and therefore nicer to be around. So are the beautiful ones happier for it? Who knows - but it's weird to wonder if they're happier because they feel like they're more beautiful than everyone else, or happier because life tends to go better for them. Chicken or egg?

On another note, what is it with blokes trying to "transform" their girlfriends whom they're going to marry for example, to "work on" their looks, as if it's going to change the personality of the future wife whether she still stays the same or not...?

Never seen this with such dramatic extremes as plastic surgery being suggested but I have seen more than a few women diet, starve and exercise like mad to look good on their wedding day. That same day their new husband gets up, puts on the suit that he bought in his normal size and polishes his shoes in time to meet her at the church. Sigh.

Let's face it, we women are just suckers for punishment when it comes to our looks. Now that I have a daughter, I wonder how I can try and give her messages about being happy with the way she looks, or better yet, not make her think she has to be critical of the way she is ... and then I wonder how I can do that against the power of the media (and shows like "The Swan").

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 5:37 pm

I do not know if this is popular opinion since we live in a visual culture.

If I have to choose between a beautiful gal with questionable character or horrible personality and a not-so-attractive gal but with a wonderful personality, I will pick the latter.