Singapore Expats

Moving to singapore with work - options for my girlfriend?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 9:59 pm

Moving to singapore with work - options for my girlfriend?

Post by foxworth » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:24 pm


i work as a Finance Manager for a US IT company currently based in the UK and am trying to get a move to singapore for a couple of years. I have been with my girlfriend for 3 years and i would like her to come with me. She is a special needs teacher with the appropriate specific qualifications but no university degree, but as we are not yet :P married i understand that getting work permits can be difficult?

What are my options? Looking to move around may time
many thanks

User avatar
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 8:28 am

Post by superfurryanimal » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 9:29 am

She can apply for a work permit on her own, and not as a dependant. If she's a special needs teacher she can try approaching some of the schools directly and applying for positions there - if accepted they will undertake the necessary procedures to apply for a work permit on her behalf. One example of such a school in Singapore is the Chao Yang Special School, there might be other organisations as well like the Singapore Association for the Deaf, it all depends on her specific experience and training.

Alternatively she could enrol in a part-time degree or diploma course (there are plenty in Singapore) and come on a student visa.

Mr Q
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 9:45 am

Post by Mr Q » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:01 am

If you are common law husband and wife, i.e. in a defacto relationship, it's possible to get LTSVP (long term social visit pass).

Approach your embassy in Singapore e.g. the British High Commission, and get a letter saying you are in a common-law relationship. Take this to immigration. You will need your company to support the application but it is relatively straighforward, just time consuming. ... _types.asp

User avatar
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon, 30 May 2005 8:20 pm

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 8:36 pm

There have been some recent changes in this area, and I know of a few couples (unmarried) where the non-employed partner has been granted a DP. Contact MOM to find out what their regulations are.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests