Singapore Expats Forum

Year of the Dog

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cheatercock
Chatter
Chatter

Year of the Dog

Postby cheatercock » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 4:47 pm

Heroin Implants Turned Puppies Into Drug Mules, U.S. Says

A Colombian drug trafficking organization was readying purebred puppies as drug couriers by surgically implanting large packets of liquid heroin into their bodies to ship them to the United States, federal officials said yesterday.

Puppies that officials said were rescued in a raid on a drug-smuggling operation in Colombia are shown in a 2005 photograph released Wednesday.

Ten puppies, including several Labrador retrievers, were discovered on a farm in a makeshift veterinary clinic in Medellín, Colombia, during a raid about a year ago, said John P. Gilbride, the special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration's New York Field Division. He said surgical tools and a table for operations were found in the clinic.

The authorities revealed the puppy scheme yesterday as they unsealed indictments in Brooklyn federal court charging 10 people with conspiring to import heroin bound for New York.

The complete article

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some poeple seem to be pre-celeberating "Year of the Dog" .
But the legal question is - who is going to pay for the crime for transporting drugs ? - Or - It is just a wise plan ?

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 4:09 pm

Thats a really good idea - Maybe we could do the same with people???

I think the scar would still show and the healing time would have to factored into the delivery schedule. But it would defintely work. Liposuck a section of a beer gut, pump it full of herion, seal it up, heal it, fly in on holidays, deliver it and cash in a multi millio doillar bonus.

Nice.

I dont think there would be anyway to detetct it unles the sacks broke and the mule died and then whose he gonna tell after that anysway.
Be Like Water

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 3:56 pm

Such acts just make me very sad and upset. My girlfriend, who donates to animal organization and gets lots of newsletters regarding animal abuse, told me it is rife. Many drug traffickers had pulled this trick a gazillion times.

Which is one reason why countries like Singapore require a quarantine when you bring in your pets from overseas, they need to monitor the pet's health for days. The pet will get sick if foreign objects were forced in their system. Typically, these rogues will surgically cut up the pet and when coast is clear, open the animal up again to retrieve the drug.

In this case, I wonder who is the beast here. The man or the pet/animal. I think the best punishment is to cut the man himself up and stuff the goods in his system. In that way, he will understand how it feels. No amount of prison time or fine will take away the pain he inflicts on the animals.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 4:49 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Which is one reason why countries like Singapore require a quarantine when you bring in your pets from overseas, they need to monitor the pet's health for days. The pet will get sick if foreign objects were forced in their system. Typically, these rogues will surgically cut up the pet and when coast is clear, open the animal up again to retrieve the drug.

Just wait till an Australian-Vientamese gets caught doing that. Then you'll *still* have the Australians mourning the fact that he'll hang.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

cheatercock
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cheatercock » Tue, 14 Feb 2006 3:36 pm

Bremen wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:Which is one reason why countries like Singapore require a quarantine when you bring in your pets from overseas, they need to monitor the pet's health for days. The pet will get sick if foreign objects were forced in their system. Typically, these rogues will surgically cut up the pet and when coast is clear, open the animal up again to retrieve the drug.

Just wait till an Australian-Vientamese gets caught doing that. Then you'll *still* have the Australians mourning the fact that he'll hang.

As you wish

Australian men sentenced to death

An Indonesian court has sentenced two Australian men to death by firing squad for playing a key role in attempting to smuggle heroin from the island of Bali
Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran are accused of being the masterminds in a group of nine Australians arrested in April last year.

Four others have been given life terms and the rest are yet to be sentenced.

The complete article : BBC