Singapore Expats Forum

The cost of fame in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

The cost of fame in Singapore

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 1:34 pm

There is an advert for Singapore idol on the telly at the moment, where a chap (who for some reason looks a bit like Sylvester - controversial runner up last year) goes up to the ice pudding stall at a hawker centre. Gets recognised & a bit of song & dance routine ensues resulting in the 'idol' getting extra toppings for free. Up steps the next guy with 'Karaoke King" on his shirt & asks for the same extra toppings to which the stall holder says

"Sure...50 cents!"

I do like the ad & find the stall holder funny in the way he snaps at the 'king'. But I interpret that the value of fame & winning Singapore idol is only worth 50 cents. Did anyone else come to the same conclusion? Or am I just being too cynical?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ad

Postby joop » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 2:03 pm

I didn't portray it that way...I saw it as if you're famous, you get better treatments. :shock:
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Re: Ad

Postby vaishali » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 3:23 pm

joop wrote:I didn't portray it that way...I saw it as if you're famous, you get better treatments. :shock:

I have to agree with Joop. I didn't interpret that the ad meant that fame is only worth 50 cents.

I think it meant, if you're famous, you'll always be treated better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no spoon. 8)

cheatercock
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cheatercock » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 4:23 pm

"controversial runner up last year"

What was the controversy?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 5:08 pm

"controversial runner up last year"

What was the controversy?

The rumor I heard was that Sly got lots more votes & should have won, however it was deemed that Tafik was the better singer & if Sly was to represent Singapore in an international idol contest it would have made Singapore look silly as he can only sing rock songs. I guess they didn't want Simon Cowell ripping into him.

As I said, only hearsay, I really couldn't give 2 hoots who won.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

Bafana

Re: Ad

Postby Bafana » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 4:00 pm

joop wrote:I didn't portray it that way...I saw it as if you're famous, you get better treatments. :shock:

Yep - Me too lah.

It is just another sypmtom of the souless singaporean society in which we drift through life as expats in the void.

If you got no money nor got nothing no one wnats you go pcik-up cardboxes and waste of the street lah - Either that or work clearing tables in your local coffee shop. Coluld be worse - You could get a job with a privately owned government company and sell your sould to protect your position the rest of your life (then again why complain - thats why they need so many expats after all)

And yes I am in a bad mood and yes it is that time of the month (invoice collection chasing off privately owned government companies)
Be Like Water