Singapore Expats

Tax advice for Australian expats ?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ANZinSINGAPORE

Tax advice for Australian expats ?

Post by ANZinSINGAPORE » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 6:40 pm

Hi there,

My wife and I are relocating to Singapore on Feb 4th from Sydney.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows of a really good tax advisor based in Singapore, who knows the Australian taxation system
and can provide advice re negative gearing property back home etc..
What you can and can't do etc...

Cheers...

fsc

Re: Tax advice for Australian expats ?

Post by fsc » Tue, 31 Jan 2006 7:16 pm

ANZinSINGAPORE wrote:Hi there,

My wife and I are relocating to Singapore on Feb 4th from Sydney.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows of a really good tax advisor based in Singapore, who knows the Australian taxation system
and can provide advice re negative gearing property back home etc..
What you can and can't do etc...

Cheers...
Why not just stick with an Australian tax advisor? Are you planning on being resident or non-resident? You realise that income earned here in Singapore is not subject to tax from Oz due to the tax treaties, right - that is, you pay tax on your earning here in Singapore.

The way I've handled this is to keep my tax accountant in Australia on board and he just manages my australian finances plus provides tax planning for any foreign investments i might consider in the future.

hth...
Feeling frisky, are we?

Ives

Post by Ives » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 7:50 am

hope its not too late for you...i found a pretty good one. go to www.smats.net and ask for Steve. He knows his stuff and very helpful for general advice. doesn't charge an arm and a leg, based in singapore and the whole comapny is full of aussie expats who know the aussie system well.
cheers

Ives

Post by Ives » Sat, 18 Feb 2006 7:53 am

oh and re your negative geared property, you just lodge an aussies tax return to generate a loss and these accumulate while you're away till you get home nad then you simply start using your accumulated tax losses from your first year back...that way you should pay very little if any tax when you get back till you chew through the accumulated losses

simmo

Post by simmo » Sat, 08 Jul 2006 4:50 pm

i can also vouch for smats. they're good and know their stuff.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Re: Tax advice for Australian expats ?

Post by bushbride » Tue, 11 Jul 2006 8:03 pm

fsc wrote:
Why not just stick with an Australian tax advisor? Are you planning on being resident or non-resident? You realise that income earned here in Singapore is not subject to tax from Oz due to the tax treaties, right - that is, you pay tax on your earning here in Singapore.

The way I've handled this is to keep my tax accountant in Australia on board and he just manages my australian finances plus provides tax planning for any foreign investments i might consider in the future.

hth...
Good idea. I would do this also.

FSC! Long time no see! Where have you been hiding? :)
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -