Singapore Expats Forum

English Teacher

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Laschet

English Teacher

Postby Laschet » Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:04 pm

Hello everyone,

Recently i have been an avid reader of your forums. I hope my questions aren't going over already posted material.

I am moving to Singapore next month. I am a CELTA qualified English teacher from England. I have about 4 years of teaching experience. I have taught for Middlesex University and my most recent job was as a Visiting Professor at a Korean university. (2 years)

I have a few questions and any information would be much appreciated!

1) Do i have a chance at getting a job in an International School/ College? Or am i more realistically looking at finding a job in a private 'McEnglish' school?

2) Once i find a job is it legal to teach private lessons? Would i need my school's permission?

3)What would be the best method of finding a job? Newspapers/internet/going door to door...?

Thanks very much,

Will Laschet.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Re: English Teacher: Info welcomed.

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 26 Jan 2006 2:24 pm

Laschet wrote:1) Do i have a chance at getting a job in an International School/ College? Or am i more realistically looking at finding a job in a private 'McEnglish' school?

Depends. Do you have a PGCE (or equivalent)? What is your undergraduate degree in? Do you have a Masters? If you don't have anything like this, I suggest the British council. Language schools are just not worth your time. If however, you have a teaching qualification as well as a Celta, there are some schools hiring right now so you stand a good chance of getting something.

2) Once i find a job is it legal to teach private lessons? Would i need my school's permission?

No, it's not legal. They would not give permission. People do it, but most contracts will state that you are not allowed.

3)What would be the best method of finding a job? Newspapers/internet/going door to door...?

Direct contact with schools through their websites and the HR manager/princpal.

Laschet

Postby Laschet » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:10 am

Thanks K1W1,

My degree is in Philosophy. I don't have a PGCE or a Masters degree. Do you think it would make a difference if i had DELTA?

Will.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 3:43 pm

you can just go to an International School and ask for any vacancy.

U can try Australia International School and British council.

Dont be too picky about which organization you want to teach.

Try Ministry of Education and you will definitely get a job.

Goodluck

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 8:33 pm

Um, Donno, that simply is not true. To teach in any of the International Schools here you need a recognised teaching qualification. It's the same for the MOE who have high standards too.

I suggest the British Council, Laschet. They'll pay the best for your background. Check their website for when they next recruit.

Universities expect a Masters at least - Singapore is unlike the rest of Asia in this respect. Singaporeans all speak English, so we (foreigners, I mean) don't have a marketable skill that far outweighs the local people.

If you are thinking of studying, then don't bother with a Delta. You're far better off getting a PGCE, if you plan to teach in Singapore.

bjwd

Postby bjwd » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 8:31 pm

Hi,

What would you assume the employment conditions to be for an American woman (25) with 3.5 years ESL experience (Korea and Turkey) who has a Masters in Applied Linguistics (along with an undergrad, of course) and a TESOL certification???

Shall I assume that her finding gainful employment won't be impossible???

What salary range should she expect?

What are the odds of getting a foreign package?

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:03 pm

What would you assume the employment conditions to be for an American woman (25) with 3.5 years ESL experience (Korea and Turkey) who has a Masters in Applied Linguistics (along with an undergrad, of course) and a TESOL certification???

You might be able to get work in universities or polytechnics (especially if you have been teaching at tertiary level). Can't comment on their packages, sorry.

What are the odds of getting a foreign package?

Depends entirely on where you work. The British Council offers packages, but will probably prefer someone who uses British English. I advise checking tertiary institutes, and steering well clear of language schools, who are fly-by-night dodgy, well, scum really.

aussiemum

Postby aussiemum » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 9:40 am

hi kiwi

do you know which pre school are the true montessori ,accredited by the MBE , in the central area.

you seem to be full of info.

also which is a good international primary school, or is local primary school good in singapore.

we are moving to singapore in june and also need to look at areas to live, but would like to pick the schools/pre-school first.

cheers