Singapore Expats

Is this True

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
MobyDog

Is this True

Post by MobyDog » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 6:41 pm

Hi, all

I have been going thru the Singaporean and Caucasian tread. And I have a question in my mind for afew years now... It maybe too sensitive if so the mod can delete this tread.

5 years ago, my GF classmate, who is a Singaporean 3rd generation of Indian mix who married a westerner and left Singapore for a few years. Well, her husband had taken up a commission in singapore and they returned.

She attended a social gathering of expats in singapore. Well she left the place with anger after more than afew incident.

She lamented to us that she was surprised and disgust. She said that most of the senior expats were advising the new expats not to be nice to the local, scold them and don't need to be nice to them among other things. They didn't know she's a Singaporean because honestly, she looked very exotic, a little bit of Silician flair.

Is this true ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 7:34 pm

There is a turd in every punch bowl. Some expats are arrogant assh*les. Most are not. Find some new expat friends. I know my friends are not like that at all and would be shocked by such behavior.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 7:58 pm

Would agree with SE, that you will unfortunately come across some ar*eholes that will sometimes give the majority of expats a bad name. I'm guessing that it wasn't a gathering organised through this forum as a large number of us have a close affinity one way or another with locals :)

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 9:06 pm

Can't believe I'm saying this so easily, but I agree with SE
One in the hand is worth two of something

fefe

Post by fefe » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 9:22 pm

Quasimodo wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this so easily, but I agree with SE
LOL... I find it hard to believe too :lol:

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 9:44 pm

Quasimodo wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this so easily, but I agree with SE
Peace, brother. I suspect we'd get along just fine if we met. How about it?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:03 pm

Ask Sapphire - I am quite the shy and retiring type - imagine a shy-ish 6'2 half kraut/frog . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:11 pm

Half Limey/Russkie myself... is there any hope?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:24 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Half Limey/Russkie myself... is there any hope?
having met both of you I'd say you'd be mates from the start

your return presence would be a welcome addition at a future wndc guys

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 2:30 am

I read Moby's post with horror. I was in Singapore for eight years, and hubby a senior guy. I have NEVER heard of such a thing going on. I know, I know, it must do, but we were ALL friends then, and now, all races. WTF??? I really don't get it. I really do think I'm lucky though, and each of you out there is like me should feel happy too. I honestly, hand on heart, see no differences in folk, anywhere. Yes of course, some have more 'senior' jobs, or some are black, or tanned, or whatever, but I pity those who have to make distinctions. There will always be places some of us can't go, or jobs we won't do, or levels we won't attain, but that's just the way of the world,..it's all about how you feel about people in your heart......what it shouldn't be is when one race who thinks they're 'superior' tells their own to ignore, or badly treat another.

God, this makes my blood boil.

I was an expat, and I have tons of local mates. We are not all up our own posteriors and racist prats. Some of us are really nice, you know!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 8:24 am

hi mobydog, agree with the rest that there are bad eggs everywhere, but personally i have found most expats here to be very nice. and many make a genuine effort to befriend locals. i was in borders a few days ago and an caucasian couple were looking for wrapping paper for a cny gift for their chinese friend, and they were grateful as anything when i explained some cny customs. lovely people, and i've found most expats to be like that.

i can also understand that some expats struggle with the local habits of not queueing up for the lift, mrt etc and many resign themselves to pushing their way in along with the rest of the locals and in that sense there is no need to be 'nice' as in queue up, cos they'd never get anywhere on time!

i remember when i first went to india years ago, i was advised by a foreign nun living there not to give money to the begging children and i thought 'how cruel' cos i could easily spare a few rupees. but after she explained why i understood better. sometimes such advice could just be a well-meaning 'survival guide'.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 9:01 am

Quasimodo wrote:Ask Sapphire - I am quite the shy and retiring type - imagine a shy-ish 6'2 half kraut/frog . . .
I have met Vaucluse who fits the above description. Never met Quasi.

PS. Half frog bit is curable, just a kiss from a half princess needed. maybe SE can help. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:01 am

Wind In My Hair wrote: i can also understand that some expats struggle with the local habits of not queueing up for the lift, mrt etc and many resign themselves to pushing their way in along with the rest of the locals and in that sense there is no need to be 'nice' as in queue up, cos they'd never get anywhere on time!

...sometimes such advice could just be a well-meaning 'survival guide'.

I think it's a bit more of this. There are some expats who get quite shocked at the rudeness/unfriendliness that seems everywhere in Singapore, so it may just have been a bit of a survival tip... "If you're nice to them, they'll just cut ahead in line and never say thank you, so don't bother, just treat them the way they treat you".

Sorry if that offends anyone, but we've had several threads about that topic already, and i feel it's related. Your friend may have missed the whole context of the discussion. Even I have started giving up on hoping that once, just once, the locals will let my fellow MRT passengers and I get off the train before they squeeze themselves in. Alas, hasn't happened yet, so I look straight ahead and force my way out, and if anyone of the "un-courteous" give me a rude look for trying to get out before they squeeze in, I stare right back or simply say "Be courteous and let us get out first" or on a bad day "Wah, Singaporeans have no courtesy, issit? Can't read the sign that says you should let us alight first?". That usually works and they realize that the damn stupid caucasian maybe isn't that stupid. And maybe, just maybe, they'll wait next time they board the MRT. Though I seriously doubt it.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

star_anise

Post by star_anise » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 6:15 pm

dear, dear breman, perhaps you and I havent met on the train yet! I always wait for a clear way before charging into the train....while I am not a local, i could pass off as a local, and make your day! O:)
[Breman/quote] Even I have started giving up on hoping that once, just once, the locals will let my fellow MRT passengers and I get off the train before they squeeze themselves in. Alas, hasn't happened yet,...[quote]

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:13 pm

star_anise wrote:dear, dear breman, perhaps you and I havent met on the train yet! I always wait for a clear way before charging into the train....while I am not a local, i could pass off as a local, and make your day! O:)
Would never work... I'd think you were a non-local chinese... ;)
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett