Singapore Expats Forum

How's this then?(Resolutions)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

How's this then?(Resolutions)

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 8:26 am

OK, anyone still keeping up their NY resolutions?

Guess what, still not smoking here. I know it's a horrible habit but it's so addictive so give me a pat on the back you lot.

HOWEVER.....I am eating like a horse and now worry about the pounds, but it's far better to be a bit heavier for a while, isn't it, than to keep on with the evil weed?

Exercise not too bad.......and trying to read more, if that's possible. By that I mean not all children's stuff (have to do that cos I write for them, research) Lots of kids stuff is better than adult work, well, that's what I think.

So, come on, who's given up their resolutions, and who's still going strong, and what are they?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:50 am

[BG pats Bubbs on the back for not smoking]

If you are worried about eating too much while not smoking try picking at dried fruit like raisins - will keep the hand to mouth habit happy & also the waist line.

Personally I gave up making resolutions; goal setting can be a great way to achieve things in life but if you never set goals then you are less likely to get disappointed when you don't achieve them. I think my glass is half empty on this one.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:06 pm

*pats bubbles on the back* great job there..

its not a resolution, but I decided to spend my income wisely this year and so far so good - hope I can keep it that way..

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 2:20 pm

babykasim wrote:*pats bubbles on the back* great job there..

its not a resolution, but I decided to spend my income wisely this year and so far so good - hope I can keep it that way..

That was my resolution too... Failing horribly so far. ;)
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

fefe

Postby fefe » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 9:34 pm

One of my resolutions was to attend church more frequently but unfortuately, one sunday passed after another, I still haven't been there once this year...

Sundays are such lovely days to sleep in, watch dvds, ignore phone messages, etc etc. :P I suppose God will understand ? No? :oops: Alright, my new year resolution will start next Sun! :wink:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 2:33 am

My God knows I believe. He does not have slings and arrows ready to smite me down cos I don't go to church.

Or is that a cop out?

Whatever....it's what your heart believes. Don't worry.

Dylan Thomas.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 9:35 pm

I agree. I don't need to be sitting in a pew to be a believer of whatever religion it is. I have an acquitance who honestly believe you MUST attend every Sunday religiously. She also feels you should attend weekly Bible study. This is from the lady who turns up to play group at the church in her high heels, skin tight pants, revealing top.

Well done Bubbles! :) Please continue with the no smoking. I'm sure it is difficult but you will be better for it in the long run. Good luck!

Resolutions, I think mine was not to make one this year to break! :lol:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:52 pm

Thanks Mat

It's difficult as it was a habit, in that I went out to the conservatory to have a ciggie. I wasn't aware how regular this was....after brekkie, lunch, perhaps in middle of difficult passage I was trying to write, you know!!

It's all about breaking those habits too, of going to the places, and breaking the times etc.

I have those 'patches' and am on the third week of them....expensive, about £20 a week but here the NHS have smoking clinics, so am booked into see the nurse next week and then I get them free, good.

I have put on weight, about four pounds but so what? To shock myself I try to brave looking at the pics on the internet if you type in 'mouth cancer' or 'throat illness smoking' but only do that when I'm at my most tempted as it's bloody scary.

So, I'm trying. Not saying I'll never fail, but hope to God that this time I will succeed. How can a quite normal woman have been such an addict for so long? They say it's harder to give up the fags than it is to give up a coke habit. So glad I never did that, anyway!!

Dylan Thomas.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Thu, 26 Jan 2006 3:32 am

Bubs,

YOU WILL SUCCEED! Keep repeating that whenever you have the desire for ciggie!! Sounds silly, I know but it's a will power thing. Mind over matter, and you matter.

Having only tried smoking in university, I guess I was lucky in that I just couldn't stand the taste or the smell of it. I thought it looked cool, tried to like it, but just could tolerate it. Alcohol was another matter at that time in my life and yet now a beer or a wine now and then, no big deal.

Don't give up and besides what is a few extra pounds, more of you to love! :wink:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:51 am

Ah Bubbs, I envy you, I'm trying to quit as well and failing quite miserably. Have cut down, but still a long way to go. Keep it up. My cut off date is March 1st when I go visiting my folks. Never smoked in front of them and this time I plan not to even behind their back. Keep it up Bubbs, you can do it!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

fefe

Postby fefe » Thu, 26 Jan 2006 7:37 pm

Good for you Bubbs, I am sure you can kick the habit!!!

As for religion, I do believe and I just feel that I should be more in touch with it, simply because I want to be in touch :)

It's beating the inertia that is hard, once we get up and do it, the end result is always satisfying. I always walk out of a church feeling recharged spiritually, all ready to face another challenging new week ahead. :)

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 1:24 am

Going strong for Chinese Language Proficiency Test (Intermediate) in September.

An unexpected windfall in that I might get to change shift into mornings \:D/

Read on some strange confessions from folks who did the super-tough techie exam I was planning in May, so I'm playing safe in putting that to July :?

Yup, exams are in place...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 7:53 am

Good luck Rivers, you can do it. I, in the meantime am craving a ciggie. I have done so well for ten days, and now, out of the blue, it comes back like a tiger again. I must admit the biscuit barrel has taken a beating here in Cardiff. Still, sod it, I promise to get all the extra tons of flesh off by the time I come drink you all under the table at the WNDC in March.....yep, coming out with hubby then so keep me informed kids!!!!!!!!!

Dylan Thomas.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 8:48 am

I have never been to the Wednesday nights(too late for me and work the next day), but may need to make an exception for you Bubs! Just the thought of fronting up to 25 little ones with a headache the next day doesn't excite me. :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 1:46 pm

This one is for Bubbs & Sapph......... from someone who successfully quit after 37 years - 13 months ago.

sms