Singapore Expats Forum

Across all boundaries

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 23 Jan 2006 9:55 am

Universal everywhere I have been: Signing the palm of your hand to indicate you want the cheque for a restaurant dinner.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:28 am

WIMH- Do you still have the grey? yeah my tiel is a loveable little thing. But only loves me and no other females, likes all males though.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 23 Jan 2006 1:57 pm

cheekybeek, this is one of the things i've lived to regret... i gave up the grey. had a baby in the house who couldn't get a decent nap whenever the dear bird decided to practise all the new sounds it was learning. also i was not spending enough time with it and pondered getting an amazon to keep it company but that would have doubled the noise level. plus at the time i was facing the prospect of living overseas and didn't know what i would do with the birds if i did move. agonised over it for the longest time and just bit the bullet one day. still wonder how he is but hear that he now has lots of other parrots for company and that's good. but i still feel bad about it. and miss him just writing about it now. he was a darling.

had two tiels but guess i'm not a tiel person. they were adorable but a bit wild since i was a rookie bird owner then and didn't know how to train them, plus the time issue. gave them to a friend and they are very happy now in an aviary with other tiels.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 23 Jan 2006 5:50 pm

WIMH- so sorry to hear you had to give up your grey, they are such intelligent beautiful birds. Suppose it must have been for the best at the time though. I keep visiting all the birds in the area as I miss mine so much, there is a guy at the hardware store in Jurong West Chinese Gardens with a beautiful cockatoo, grey, eclectus and lory. Across from him is a bird shop with a lovely amazon chained to a perch, every time I went past the amazon had no food I noticed he had a tiel with a bad eye infection- It couldn't open its eyes at all. Several of his budgies had mites and one had a deformed beak, his grey is in a cage on the ground and has no chest feathers- plucked itself from boredom, this guy sits smoking while holding his cigarette over his galah's cage. Made me feel so sick I reported him to the SPCA, unfortunately the tiel must have died, it couldn't get to its water as it couldn't see. The SPCA couldn't do much as the sick bird wasn't there and told me to inform the AVA. The AVA were hopeless, saying the guy had been licensed for 30 years so must be doing the right thing. UUUGHHHH just makes me so angry.

Sorry to be so long winded, just wanted you to know that at least you gave your birds the best you could, not just had them chained up as trophy pets till they plucked themselves to death.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:53 pm

cheekybeek, thanks so much for trying to make me feel better. there's still some heartache when i wonder how he's doing but the consolation is that he is better off now. btw your tiel is beautiful, looks rather like my first one. :)

and that man with the abused pets... if he's still there maybe you could report him again. in the past few months there have been some strong punishments meted out to animal owners who abuse their pets and technically this man is the owner of those animals until he sells them off. their condition sounds horrible and maybe the police could help if you gave them a call. how can people treat animals like that? sick.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:09 pm

The SPCA said there is nothing they can do as it is a pet shop so it is a matter for the AVA. The AVA didn't want to do anything. I was at farmart on the weekend and a shop there was selling some beautiful baby birds but the place where you go look and feed the rabbits and goats was appalling. The rabbits all had sores on their noses and were boney thin, so that after you pay to feed them they run up to you. I guess if no one paid to feed them they didn't get fed. It Absolutely stank of goat urine!

Sorry so far off the subject.

Maybe if your lifestyle is more suited now you can get yourself another bird, I would love a green cheeked conure but of course wont get a bird until after we return to Australia.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 8:22 am

What about pointing? That must be pretty general?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:57 am

How about the sign for telephone - the thumb & little finger stuck out & waving your hand near your ear. Although it can mean 'call me' or 'there is a call for you'.

Turning the insides of your pockets out to mean you have no money.

Cupping your ear with your hand when you want to tell someone that they are speaking too softly & you can't hear.

Holding your nose to indicate a bad smell (with the added 'pooweey' exclamation)

what does winking mean to you? It can be a very cheesy way to let someone know that you are attracted to them or it can be a very blokey thing to say "alright mate - you are spot on, there you go"
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway