Singapore Expats Forum

How does an Accountant look for a Job in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

yany

How does an Accountant look for a Job in Singapore

Postby yany » Fri, 20 Jan 2006 1:10 pm

Hi!
I'm an accountant here in the Philippines and I have more than 5 yrs of experience in Accounting. I want to work in SG and i was wondering on how i can look for a job there since i don't have an employment permit. is it advisable to go there and just walk in? I notice on some online job advertisement that there a lot of Accounting vacancy but they always require a PR or singaporean citizen only. Are there companies willing to hire expat? is my qualification as a CPA here in the Phil enough to land me a job in SG? Thanks for the help

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Fri, 20 Jan 2006 1:24 pm

I would advise against walking in to companies here. It's very hard to get an Employment Pass for accounting because the hiring company needs to be able to prove why they should hire you instead of a Singaporean accountant.

My advice would be to go through jobstreet and jobsdb.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:20 am

Have you any public practice experience? it is quite easy to work here as an auditor. Every firm needs more people. I would send letter and CV to HR depts direct. Every large firm here has a website with current vacancies; you could also apply through there.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Sat, 21 Jan 2006 5:46 pm

Definitely no walk-in strategy will work - use the last suggestions and send letters to companies and try to get interviews through jobsb and e-mail headhunters directly.
One in the hand is worth two of something