Singapore Expats Forum

Dragonboat - social

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
X-Paddler

Dragonboat - social

Postby X-Paddler » Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:01 am

Is there a friendly/social dragonboat crew in Singapore? How can I get in touch?
Do any expats paddle? Not that this matters - just of interest. Thanks.

mucho dragonboating

Postby mucho dragonboating » Tue, 27 Jul 2004 2:07 pm

There are at least 30 dragon boat teams in SG, and two big annual races. One was the weekend of June 19-20 and the next is at the end of November or so.

The local unis and polys have teams, the police, the military (SAFSA/SAFRA), etc. Also, there are several expat teams. German, British, Canadian, Aussie, Japanese, Hong Kong, etc.

If you want to join an expat team, just contact the respective expat association (google) and they will put you in touch.

Current expat league champs are the Canadians, followed by the Aussies, with the Germans in third.

Bubbles

Dragonboat

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 27 Jul 2004 4:07 pm

Hi
Also the charities have teams.
I was involved with the Riding for the Disabled team.
If you want to find out more, number is in the book.
It's great fun, but very hard work.
Mind you, the practices are great, drinkies after. lol

mucho dragonboating

Postby mucho dragonboating » Tue, 27 Jul 2004 4:24 pm

Yes, good point. Lots of charities too, like the breast cancer survivors, etc. Also, some companies have teams, the big banks in particular. And also the Oxford and Cambridge alumni groups in Singapore. So, in summary, there lots of teams! The Dutch and Irish each put a boat in the water at the last race too. Good exercise, good comradery, very fun overall.

miso

Very amateur team?

Postby miso » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 3:39 pm

Hi

is there also some teame where even weak people can join. I mean something like: we like rowing but do not do the competition.

Miso

Angel

Postby Angel » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 6:50 pm

How does a Malaysian non paddler get into paddling in the first place... since i dont come under the heading of 'expat' or under any of those countries listed... but i'd love to learn and start somewhere...

Any ideas?

vervoon

Dragonboating anyone?

Postby vervoon » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 4:10 pm

Hi,

We are an all male gay team looking for good rowers to help us win gold in November 2004 at the River Regatta.

Anyone interested please email me at vervoon@pacific.net.sg as our recruitment drive starts now with first practices commencing Sat 16 Jul 2005.

Thanks!

Vernon

DB Vet

Postby DB Vet » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:47 am

You will need to be an all-male, gay, Timelord team if you want to win the 2004 race!

See you on the water in November 2005 though. Will you have really camp uniforms? That would be interesting and might intimidate us on the other, straighter, more boring teams.

Paddler

Postby Paddler » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 2:46 pm

British Chamber of Commerce Team

www.britishdragonboat.com

Join us

Re: Very amateur team?

Postby Join us » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 1:15 pm

miso wrote:Hi

is there also some teame where even weak people can join. I mean something like: we like rowing but do not do the competition.

Miso

Just drop a line to anne_marie_ng@yahoo.com to indicate you want to join the Irish dragon boat teams.
Donot worry, not all have to be Irish people to join our team, we are welcoming all who are interested in rolling, donot have to be with strong muscle.

Cheers!

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Postby deb96 » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 1:25 pm

No muscles! all bones skeleton only!but very active in sports! Can still take part???

CNA
Regular
Regular

Postby CNA » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 1:45 pm

how about cheerleading whilst they row? lol
Random Walk

First lesson free

Postby First lesson free » Thu, 07 Jul 2005 1:52 pm

It's not rowing. You are not using an oarlock or a lever of any sort.

It's paddling and the thing in your hand is, you guessed it, a paddle.