Singapore Expats Forum

What is decent salary for construction project manager?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

shezzababe

What is decent salary for construction project manager?

Postby shezzababe » Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:18 am

Hi there,
I'm considering relocating to Singapore. I am working as a construction project manager in Sydney, Australia.

I've sent my resume to a few contacts and have been contacted by a few recruitment agents...so far...we could not avoid the question of salary range..(In Sydney, it's usually only polite to discuss it at the interview..not prior). Therefore, I'm in a little bit of a pickle because I don't really know the salary range in Singapore for the building and construction industry. I've tried to do a search but in vain...no recruitment agent wants to reveal either.

I've got an architectural degree and have a total of 6-7 years industry experience in architecture, project management and real estate. My current wage is approx. AUD$60,000 per annum.

Can someone give me an indication on what to expect in Singapore? Thanks.

Also, when someone offers a salary in Singapore, is that usually the gross amount?

project1980

Postby project1980 » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 8:47 pm

I know of someone who was a construction project manager with about 15 years of experience, background in civil engineering. Annual income was about SGD$70,000. I hope that helps some.

shezzababe

Thanks

Postby shezzababe » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 9:51 pm

thanks for the advise, yes, I've been told just a couple of days ago...i've noticed that most recruiters are looking for people with 10 years experience or more... if you are still in contact with your friend, could you find out what should someone with 5-7 years experience expect? Thanks so much, you're a gem :)

superfurryanimal

Postby superfurryanimal » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 9:25 am

Honestly I don't think you will be paid more in Singapore. The job market in Singapore is very competitive and there are no minimum wage laws, the employment laws here greatly favour the employers. In Australia they look after the employees much better.

However, if you are coming as an expat, with full expat benefits like a car and your rent paid for, then it would be a totally different story. As far as I know such benefits are only offered to senior executives like General Managers and above.

Another thing you might want to note is that while your gross income might be lower, the cost of living in Singapore is also lower, and the taxes are notably lower than they are in Australia or any other Western country.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 4:20 pm

Hows it.

It works out about the same as if you are in Sydney since the tax rate here is much lower. S$70,000 ++ seems a bit high if you are an expat on site working for the builder.

If you are in the office on the client side aim for S$70-80,000 ++.

I know many here in the S$100,000 ++ bracket in the construction industry here - You just need to work the angle and get with the right companies in the right position.

Just eb very prepared to deal with the Singaporean mentaility at its finest in not wanting to make decisions or take responsibility for anything ever anytime - IT can really make you sick the first 6 m onths until you either get used too it, piss of home or dont care no more.

Whats sort of construction you into?

Drop me a PM and I might be able to give a more detailed and exact response mate.
Be Like Water

shezzababe

Great advice

Postby shezzababe » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks so much, i do realise the cheaper cost of living factor...i was actually born in Singapore but have been away for ten over years so i find it a little harder to communicate with the locals. I've managed to get a few interviews lined up, two of which, i'm extremely keen on so wish me luck :), will keep yous posted at the end of the month.