Singapore Expats Forum

Cats....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Cats....

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 7:27 pm

Another daft one..........

Can I cut my cat's claws myself or is it for the vet only?

Any vets on here?

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 8:04 pm

I think this is for vets Bubbles. I don't know about cats but for a budgerigar you just wrap sand paper around its perch. Dogs simply take for a walk so cats might need some kind of 'scracth post' will try to find out.

Plavt.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 8:08 pm

Lot of information on Google just type in 'Cats Claws, cutting'.

Plavt.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 8:17 pm

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 9:34 pm

Years ago when I lived in the USA and before I married, I had a lovely tabby cat, Tigger. I would trim his claws pretty regularly. I had a special instrument designed just for that, cutting cat's claws. I would take him to the vet occasionally, but this saved on the bills. Now I am catless as my husband and daughter are allergic to animal fur. I miss my cats, they were so affectionate, and they don't talk back!

Love the pic, Plavt, she/he is beautiful!

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:57 pm

Yes, guess most would say the vets. It's so expensive though. To cut her claws will cost over £30. Still, it's got to be done I suppose.

Thanks for the tips.....excuse the pun!

Dylan Thomas.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:00 pm

Hi Bubbles, your local pet shop should have just what you need and if they are good they will show you how to use it as well. Bit strange looking but they work really well.

My cats have their nails clipped by me every fortnight here in Singapore as they don't get outside and their claws grow very long and sharp (despite scratchy pole etc inside). These guys are used to it and suffer it in silence but my old cats hated it and needed to be wrapped in a blanket to have it done (thankfully not very often).

So if your cat thinks that having its paws touched is a violation of privacy it could be a job for the vet or a two person job.

Good luck!

This is the sort of thing you should be looking for

"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:06 pm

Hey thanks Micknlea, will look out for them. She's gorgeous and sloppy, but methinks she'll fight me to the death if I touch her paws.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 4:43 am

Bubbs, not sure why you need to? Is she confined to the indoors? Most cats take care of this kind of thing on their own :)

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 1:01 pm

I clip my cats claws myself, I just use a normal pair of nail clippers. Just be careful as cats have a vain in their claws (I think it is called a quick). If you look you should be able to see it inside the claw as it is darker than the rest of the claw. DON"T CUT THE QUICK IT WILL HURT THEM

If you trim the claws regularly the quick retreats after time.

Doing the actual clipping can be a bit of a battle - depends how much your cat trusts you. Personally I allow the cat to sit on my lap for a while & get blissed out from a bit of scratching behind his ears. They gently take the paws & push the middle at the base to reveal the claws. I can do a paw or 2 at a time before he realises what is going on & jumps down.

Wrapping them up in a blanket & forcing it on them can stress them out (& lead to scratch marks on you!). It also means that they know what is coming when the clippers come out & they run away.

I guess the proper clippers are better - human nail clippers work fine. Good luck
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 7:09 pm

Mary.....she will not use her scratch pole and now all my furniture is getting trashed. I love her, but this is too much. Yes, she stays indoors lots.....she can go out and roam but she's a bit of a wimp, and loves the warmth....

I think I'll take her to the vet and see what she says. Best to safe than sorry and I don't want to hurt her.

Thanks all, very helpful.

Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.