Singapore Expats Forum

Hair.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Hair.....

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 7:25 pm

OK, daft topic...........

Do men prefer women with long or short hair....if all else is equal I mean.

And do you think there's an age where long hair should be chopped?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 7:36 pm

Medium to long hair definitely!

Mrs S has threatened a couple of times to cut her hair short but has had a resounding NO from me :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 7:56 pm

Think I prefer shoulder length hair. Seems more femine - old fashioned view perhaps.

Plavt.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 9:31 pm

Imagine a wolf without fur... enough said. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:00 pm

But what about the age we 'should' have long hair till? Not that it would make me change mine, but wondered what folk think.

When I was a tiny girl lots of older women had long hair, but you never saw them with it untied, it was always in a bun or in a 'French Plait'...chignon....

Now we get Jerry Hall, and Madonna, and Susan Sarandon, etc etc etc. with flowing locks.

Mind you, they are all good looking women, so perhaps it's that thing again................be good looking and get away with most things.??

Dylan Thomas.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:04 pm

Hell, that sounded as if I was saying I am nice looking .....arrgh!!! Meant that the good looking get away with things us normal mortals just say 'stuff it' about......and then most prob get talked about behind our backs....

'Have you seen that old crone with the long hair, pathetic isn't it?'

or

'Thinks she can wear jeans/miniskirt/Ugg boots/thongs/postage stamps....whatever...................at her age, poor thing, most probably has a mid life crisis'.....

Or words to that effect....and the effect they have on me????

As I said

'Sod it'

lolol.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 4:47 am

It depends on the hair and it depends on the girl. I think Jerry Hall is looking a little pathetic with that long hair. You should where the style best suited for your hair and your face. Too many women hang on to the long hair as a sign of youth when in fact it makes them look older.

Woman

Postby Woman » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 5:33 am

IMHO , women past 50 should keep their hair short.

And I dislike men with shoulder length hair, at whatever age !

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:58 am

Ooh I love long hair on men. That's the first thing that attracted me to my now hubby. :) Not all can carry it off though.

As for long or short hair on women, I've never given it much thought. Whatever suits you is what you should go with. In my case, whatever is manageable is what I stick to. I wasn't aware that long hair was supposedly a sign of youth! Off to grow my hair now! :lol:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:55 am

Long hair, definitely. But there seems to be some sort of fine print in the marriage contract... as soon as you marry her, the hair becomes short. I guess "Delilah" gets her guy, then that's it.

bluskye

Postby bluskye » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 5:02 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Long hair, definitely. But there seems to be some sort of fine print in the marriage contract... as soon as you marry her, the hair becomes short. I guess "Delilah" gets her guy, then that's it.

I noticed that too! Frankly I quite admire women with short hair. Those that are able to carry the look are really quite attractive. Looks somewhat more professional. But I wonder why this happens straight after marrige though?

Note that i am female professional with long long hair...though still single ;p

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 5:27 pm

Short hair in all their different styles....
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:15 pm

I'll try again to post on this one...I did one last night but somehow it just vanished never to be seen again by the looks of it.

We had this discussion in the office a while back, and it carried on to the pub after work as well (more people to check out and comment on down there). The general consensus amongst the men...long hair won virtually every time, the women however tended to go for the very short sexy look most of the time. We checked out a lot of people that night, of various ages...of course the discussion degenerated as the night went on...

As for the age when you should stop having long hair well, it really is dependent on the person. Some women can get away with it for years, and others, well they should never have done it in the first place.

I used to be a hairdresser and we had a client who had fantastic natural black hair she could almost sit on. She was a good looking spanish woman and she looked great. Most times she wore it up but when it was down it really looked good. The amazing thing? This lady was in her 80's!!! She used to come in to have it washed and blow dried as she could no longer do it easily due to arthritis. She could however still put it up with a couple of clips. Why did she keep it long? Her husband liked it that way!

Personally I think that once you pass 50 or thereabouts (depending on how you carry it off) you need a softer gentle style that takes away any harshness. Same as wearing solid black, sooner or later it just doesn't look good anymore. :wink:
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:47 pm

Is it the same thing as the "magic point" where balding men need to just LET GO of the fact that they do not have a head of crowning locks and shave it all off (NOTHING worse than a comb-over)? Hmm, maybe not since I can't imagine anyone will chime in here with a story about a gorgeous guy with a Trump-type do, but we might all know women who still look good with long hair...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:12 pm

bluskye wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Long hair, definitely. But there seems to be some sort of fine print in the marriage contract... as soon as you marry her, the hair becomes short. I guess "Delilah" gets her guy, then that's it.

I noticed that too! Frankly I quite admire women with short hair. Those that are able to carry the look are really quite attractive. Looks somewhat more professional. But I wonder why this happens straight after marrige though?

Note that i am female professional with long long hair...though still single ;p

HA! Point proven. Single female with long hair.

On a slightly more serious note, I think women go to short hair simply because it is so much easier to maintain... especially if one takes up a career or becomes a mom. My hair was long at one time... a lot more work than my current short haircut... although I must admit it makes me look like Caesar.

Too bad you live in Australia... what with the long hair and all. :(