Singapore Expats

London Living Costs

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 8:43 pm

You should try reading those adverts a little closer and most of those areas areas are none too desirable.

e.g. Hoxton/Shoreditch where the price quoted is £750 pcm soon be £800.
(an area not worth considering to say the least)

Walthamstow states inclusive but inclusive of what?

Marylebone - note :+ tax + utilities

Holloway £366 multiplied by 3= £1098

The same can be said of the others if you care to read the advertisements.
While it is true the rent per individual is less than £800 add your expenses to those prices. The lower rents are furthest from central London increasing transport costs.

BTW £800 is not rare it is usual price for a whole flat
anything less than about £750 tends to be suspect.

Plavt.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:03 am

A great post Plavt, probably put slightly kinder than I would have but so true.

superfurryanimal

Re: London Living Costs

Post by superfurryanimal » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 4:19 pm

Mannish Boy wrote:
- Share Flat (near or short commuting distance to Canary Wharf.
- Electricity/Gas/Water Bills
- Food Costs (grocery and takeaway)
- Entertainment (beer, entrance fee to a club, etc)
- Taxi
- Any other information you can provide

Thanks.
I'm living in London now so I can give you a pretty good idea.

- Rent is about 140-200 pounds per week for a bedroom (incl utilities) and if you want a two bedroom apartment it will cost approximately 500 pounds per week.

- Food Costs - typical takeaway food like fish and chips or indian/chinese takeaway will cost you 4-5 pounds per meal on average. The cost of a McDonalds value meal (burger, fries, coke) is about GBP 4.50.

- Entertainment - a wide range. A beer costs anywhere from a quid to 1.80, a typical drink (housepour or cocktail) is between 4 to 7 pounds, club cover charges are normally 10 to 15 pounds depending on the exclusivity of the club. 'Posh' clubs like Chinawhite and Funky Buddha (where footballers and celebrities hang out) cost at least 15 pounds entry with no drinks.

-Taxi - a taxi ride from Heathrow to Canary Wharf will cost you 75 quid and upwards. It's madness to take a taxi in the City because the traffic is terrible, you'd do much better taking the tube (2 pounds single trip) or walking!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 5:26 pm

Thank you superfurryanimal, I live in London too, been here since 1981 and am as familiar as yourself. Saint and I have repeated ourselves several times on this thread but at least one person just doesn't get it.

Plavt.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ringo100 » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 9:48 pm

I will say again; I know it is not rare for a flat to cost 800; I never said it was. Please read the post; I said it is rare to find a 800 FLAT SHARE.

There are so many flat shares out there for cheaper and it is totally pompous and pretentious to say they are all shit holes.

I was never talking about renting a whole house and the OP specifically wanted to know the price for rent and the bills separately. I know council tax and bills will increase the total amount you will have to pay. This is my first post, that for some reason you disagree with:

[quote]
“On 40k as a single in London is fine and much more than average.

A flat share will be about 500-600. Drinking is much cheaper than here and there is so much more choice.

I would definitely live in London if you are going for year or two. There is no point going all that way and missing the lifestyle and sight seeing opportunities.

By the time you factor in travel costs it is cheaper and less time consuming to flat share in London.

The worst thing is the tax and NI.”

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Have a look here

Post by Plavt » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:37 pm

ringo100 wrote: They don’t even have a category for flat shares at 800+ because they are so rare.
Looks like you should try reading your own posts and BTW superfurryanimal was saying much the same as me when referring to a two bedroomed flat £500 per week = £2000 per month. The £560 per month as I have said before very likely will not take account of tax and utility bills.

Plavt.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ringo100 » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:54 am

Did you go on the website? Did you see a flat share category for 800+? Did you how many adds out of the 500+ were for 800+? So, if have seen the site do you will my quote is correct.

I have never been talking about renting a flat. The OP never asked about renting a flat. superfurryanimal agreed a flat share will cost 560 – 800. I totally agree you can. However, I also think there are a large number of good places in nice areas in the lower end of that range.

They don’t even have a category for flat shares at 800+ because they are so rare.
Looks like you should try reading your own posts and BTW superfurryanimal was saying much the same as me when referring to a two bedroomed flat £500 per week = £2000 per month. The £560 per month as I have said before very likely will not take account of tax and utility bills.

Plavt.
Look this is becoming pretty pointless and I’m sure the OP has enough info from all sides. To the OP, have a great time in London, look on the web and get an idea of prices, but make sure you have a good look around before committing to a flat share. Hope you can find somewhere within your budget.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 6:07 pm

ringo100 wrote:Did you go on the website?
You obviously don't read my replies as well as trying to force your own point.

Plavt.

superfurryanimal

Re: Have a look here

Post by superfurryanimal » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 5:46 am

Plavt wrote:
ringo100 wrote: Looks like you should try reading your own posts and BTW superfurryanimal was saying much the same as me when referring to a two bedroomed flat £500 per week = £2000 per month. The £560 per month as I have said before very likely will not take account of tax and utility bills.
Plavt.
Not only that, you probably won't get a living room either, and the flat is likely to be in poor condition and not in a very good location (e.g. far from tube stations etc). It is possible for a flat to cost more than £200 a week obviously but I mentioned that as a 'maximum' because I assume that the tenant is operating on a reasonable budget. There are two bedroom flats in Chelsea, Knighsbridge and Fulham along the King's Road that cost more than £2,000 per week.

coucou

Find a job in the City

Post by coucou » Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:27 pm

good website for people who want to start a new carreer in London...

www.manprod.com