Singapore Expats Forum

Favourite Sandwiches

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 7:42 pm

Yum, this is making me hungry and it's not 12 noon here yet. The sandwich lady comes around later, she has built the business up over years and you'd be amazed the things she can whip up for you....(no, no naughty comments please).....I'm going to shock her one day and say....yes please, bacon and marmalade....bet she'll say something like....'Ah, no marmalade pet, will jam do?'....

Mind you, when you think about it all burgers are just beef and onion type sarnies, aren't they?

What about.....chicken, mayo, spring onion, red pepper and don't laugh....sharon fruit (or persimmon I think they are called too)....lovely?!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 7:53 pm

I wonder if there is anyone else here who can't stand mayonnaise.
What bugs me is just about every sandwich bar and supermarket puts in those sandwiches that I would otherwise buy. Always seem to end up with cheese and tomato. I just hate the person who invented mayonnaise -yeeeeuk!.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:56 pm

Bad luck Plavt, it's true, lots of mayo in sarnies nowadays.

And by the way, when did it become 'unposh' to like salad cream?

Or was it always unposh? I love it.

Oh, here's another sandwich, totally batty if you ask me but my kids had a game when they were little called 'Magic Sandwiches'.....sorry, my idea ....something to keep them occupied I guess......one lunchtime a week they could choose whatever they wanted to put in their sandwiches but had to make them themselves....also got them to learn how to be a little self sufficient....and one of them made up a ..............crisp and salad cream sandwich.........which they have to this day.

Sounds yuckie, but actually is very nice esp if the crisps are cheese and onion................

Yes, it's true, we've always been very weird in Wales.

Dylan Thomas.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:15 pm

Over 10 years ago, my little brother (20yo at the time) had a motorbike accident which left him in a self induced coma. After about a week he suddenly woke up and promptly apologised for climbing and falling out of his junior school playing field tree :? he was completely gaga!

The nurse asked him if he was hungry and he said yes and he would like his favourite which was an Ice Cream Sandwich :???: He was adament it was his favourite and that mummy made it for his pack lunch everyday!

To please him the nurse got him one and he promptly ate it :o

Even today he has no recollection of this or why he would want an ice cream sandwich!

bluskye

Postby bluskye » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 5:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Peanut butter, Bananas & Mayo on wholemeal toast! Great for B'fast!

Mine's similar to yours - its peanut butter, banana and lettuce on wholewheat bread, crusts removed.
Also crunchy sliced granny smith apples with a generous layer of cinnamon sugar between 2 slices of buttered white bread.
Got me drooling now!

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 6:18 pm

Bubbles wrote:crisp and salad cream sandwich.........which they have to this day.

Well if it's any consolation my brother and I would sometimes eat cheese and marmalade sandwiches. Haven't tried the other I have heard of though - fish and jam.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 7:11 pm

Sorry, just remembered....bacon sandwiches, I defy those carnivores out there to stop their tastebuds watering when they smell bacon cooking.

Best in a toasted sandwich, then wrapped in greaseproof paper for about five or ten mins, to get it a bit squashy, then yum....

I must stop this, I am on a sort of diet, after the hols, and this is hell!!!!!

Off to make early lunch......

Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 8:46 pm

Stoppit Bubbles........I love crispy bacon sandwhiches but I am already overweight - lost a little recently but don't know how long thats gonna last.
I hope you aren't developing a bulge round the middle - could get talked about. :D :D :D :devil: :devil:

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:58 pm

Ah never mind Plavt, we are warm blooded animals and need a little extra layer of fat to get us through this rubbish weather we're having.

What about this one............

Thin steak, cooked just right, chopped mushrooms and onions fried with it, in one of those submarine rolls, with grated strong cheddar and onion pickle.....

In fact, I am going to have that for tea, just decided. Got some steak in the freezer at home.

And I am going to put real butter on the roll first.....yes, yes, I will be a fat piglet, but I will be a happy piggy.

Oink, oink....Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 5:32 am

Bubbles wrote:
Thin steak, cooked just right, chopped mushrooms and onions fried with it, in one of those submarine rolls, with grated strong cheddar and onion pickle.....

In fact, I am going to have that for tea, just decided. Got some steak in the freezer at home.

And I am going to put real butter on the roll first.....yes, yes, I will be a fat piglet, but I will be a happy piggy.

Oink, oink....Bubbs.

And accompanied by a nice bottle of red? Be rude not to :wink:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 6:35 am

Tell you what Sainty, looks like we've got the board to ourselves. Seems like it's only us in the UK who can post. This is a shame as I miss everyone.............

COME BACK SOON YOU LOT.....

Oh, by the way Sainty....yes, red went lovely with it.....

Dylan Thomas.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:39 am

Bubbles wrote:Tell you what Sainty, looks like we've got the board to ourselves. Seems like it's only us in the UK who can post. This is a shame as I miss everyone.............

COME BACK SOON YOU LOT.....

Oh, by the way Sainty....yes, red went lovely with it.....

Bubbly bubbs, if I may call u that Budds, must agree it's been a bit quiet from our friends from the little red dot :?

I've had to resort to posting in the SIA careers thread but I was quoting Peter Cook/Dudley Moore so can be forgiven I hope.

Mrs S and I had a swift few down the Funky, a takeaway and a rather pleasant bottle of red or three :wink:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 8:45 pm

You can call me what you like hon, as long as it's not abusive......cos then I'll cry....boohoo...(as if)

Bubbs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dylan Thomas.