Singapore Expats Forum

Do you believe in............

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Do you believe in............

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 4:30 am

OK, another daft topic.....

Do you believe in.....

1. Fortune Telling?

2. Crystals?

3. Colour Therapy (think that's what it's called)

4. Re-incarnation?

5. Karma?

6. Reiki?

I ask cos I used to think it was all rubbish, but then I was cajolled into doing a Reiki course, and do you know what, I think it works. Now, before you go on about 'weirdo' tendancies, I really could feel vibrations round folks bodies. But they say they are there anyway, electrical vibrations etc, but I was amazed, and a bit shocked to be honest.

Still, perhaps the realists have it right..........it's psychological, all in the mind, or whatever.

What do you think?

I believe in Karma though. Or, to put it another way....what goes around, comes around.

Night, Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 4:56 am

1. Fortune Telling?

2. Crystals?

4. Re-incarnation?

5. Karma?

6. Reiki?

Sorry Bubbles I don't believe any of this. You say you could fee vibrations around peoples bodies, how?

Pavt.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 10:02 am

If you're an acute observer of human emotions,behaviours and know how we wud react to situations and circumstances, you'd make a darn good psychiatrist,psychologist and.... fortune teller. Thing with evolution is it's also a revolution, what was 'IN' yesterday will be 'IN' again in the future.It's like Geology, you will see a repeat occurence a little down the road from the point when you discovered your first. So is fortunetelling...

Apart from DNA, the human mind is a powerful thing that contributes and make up who we are. At the same time it is the most fragile organ ( if you like ), apart from the heart ( in a literal sense ). No matter how strong one's mental mettle is, no one is impregnable.

Just that some of us read and manipulate the other's a little better.

...what you see is not always what it is.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 10:54 am

Nope, and it's not ike voodoo or supposed witchcracft where you're just that little bit reluctant to dismiss it entirely.

'nuff said Image

Frenzy

Re: Do you believe in............

Postby Frenzy » Sun, 08 Jan 2006 1:12 pm

Bubbles wrote:OK, another daft topic.....

Do you believe in.....

1. Fortune Telling?

2. Crystals?

4. Re-incarnation?

5. Karma?

6. Reiki?

I ask cos I used to think it was all rubbish, but then I was cajolled into doing a Reiki course, and do you know what, I think it works. Now, before you go on about 'weirdo' tendancies, I really could feel vibrations round folks bodies. But they say they are there anyway, electrical vibrations etc, but I was amazed, and a bit shocked to be honest.

Still, perhaps the realists have it right..........it's psychological, all in the mind, or whatever.

What do you think?

I believe in Karma though. Or, to put it another way....what goes around, comes around.

Night, Bubbs.

Ahhh, fortune telling. An issue close to my heart.

I was once a true believer. In my earlier years I had played around with Tarot and I Ching and as a young impressionable soul, had even believed things said to me by a Clairvoyant.

Time has passed and I have shaped my views on this. Not a complete loss of faith, but rather a change in understanding of these things as 'portals of understanding' or random snippets of altruism for which we can apply to and reflect on our current situation.

I believe that a future told can come true merely out of being a self-perpetuating prophecy. We make our own future!

Having seen past-life regression under hypnosis makes me wonder too about re-incarnation. Although the latest research into hypnosis shows these 'stories' are merely manufactured by a creative subconcious mind.

Yes, Karma I do believe in just as I do the laws of physics and the universe. My believe is that motion and inertia apply at all levels including our concious and subconcious minds.

Crystals, well we wouldn't all be here without the awesome power of crystals. Think silicon! Those who always believed in the power of crystals were right - but perhaps not exactly in the way they originally thought.

Yes, "It's all in your head" I believe.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 1:45 pm

I believe that we have not discovered our whole potential. A statistic that is thrown around is that we only use 10% of our brain - if we could use 100% I think that so much would be possible.

So I feel that all the things you mentioned Bubbs are possible if people believe they are - it is not that they work per se but that people believe they will & therefore they do. It is an old adage "be careful what you wish for" I think the power of the mind has more to do with all of these - it is almost that we 'will' these thing into happening.

You can tie in other ideas as well - such as placebos, the power of prayer, astral projecting etc - all, I think, are to do with the power of the mind.

[BG thinks - "you will respond to this post, you will respond to this post"]
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 3:54 pm

reminds me of a saying: the best way to predict the future is to create it!

Frenzy

Postby Frenzy » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 5:02 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:reminds me of a saying: the best way to predict the future is to create it!

Ya, I agree.

It although becomes very complicated if you believe in the possibility of some form of "occult" predictions but also have an awareness that your actions in knowledge of these affect future outcomes (ie. aware that you are creating your own future).

If you don't like a predication you can take action to change the future outcome. Then of course what was the prediction in the first place other than just advice?

Can the two co-exist, a believe in occult prediction ( destiny :) ) aswell as awareness that you create your own future (although of course there are many events outside of our control)? (answer to this is sometimes why I can't sleep at night :? )