Singapore Expats Forum

How do you spell 'Chinese'?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:17 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I support a 'no-californians' policy in Singapore.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i second the motion!

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:18 am

Eric and Vaucluse, i really think you need to be more open minded to other cultures. After all, if these so called "Californians" were never taught any differenct, and if "don't do" is in fact considered "common courtesy" where they come from, is it their fault? Just because you think what they are doing is rude doesn't make it rude. In fact, isn't it perhaps more logical that your lack of compassion and understanding is really the root of the problem here?

I think you need to take a deep breath and realize that all cultures have some good and some bad qualities, and that these so called "Californians" are possibly just victims of their society. Should we HATE THEM for it and BAN THEM from Singapore? DOES YOUR HATRED AND BIGOTRY KNOW NO BOUNDS???!!!
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:24 am

Did some Auntie step on your foot this morning, Wham?

My apologies if I found their choice of words funny . . . sheesh . . .

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:52 am

Wham wrote:if these so called "Californians" were never taught any differenct, and if "don't do" is in fact considered "common courtesy" where they come from, is it their fault? Just because you think what they are doing is rude doesn't make it rude.

well said wham, except that i would find you a lot more credible if you applied that very same thinking in your judgments of singaporeans, as it seems you do the very opposite. why the discrimination? favouritism? racism? beats me.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:55 am

Relax...

I am just pointing out what appears to be a glaring double standard.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:28 pm

I think the problem with writen words, as in forum post, is that it is adequate to convey what really takes place. You just have to be there to sense their tone, body language, facial expression to get the true intention.

I think it can also be interpreted as a sign of humility. Like RAL pointed out, these supposedly "californians" may just be pointing out their handicaps and hopefully the waiters won't impose their chopstick rule on them.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:40 pm

Wham, you shouldn't be talking about double standards. Many a times you've clearly revealed yours.

Btw Eric and WIMH, what's wrong with Californians? A few that I know are great people. Two of them are very close friends of mine.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:50 pm

sapphire wrote:Btw Eric and WIMH, what's wrong with Californians? A few that I know are great people.

nothing wrong with them, i like californians too. just having some fun. my ex is californian and i was thinking how nice if he left the country... :lol: sorry private joke that should have remained private, i just couldn't resist.

and my guess is that eric's comment was tongue in cheek too. it is so obviously ridiculous a motion that it can't be taken seriously, so neither can my seconding it.
Last edited by Wind In My Hair on Fri, 06 Jan 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:51 pm

wham I think you have a point, I think it is called reverse racism. But again it is far too easy to take things said here personally & to heart. I think you are still smarting cos Eric called us arrogant in another thread. Take a deep breath & let it go.

Be like bamboo & bend with the wind

Personally I love using chopsticks, it seems far more civilised to me. It also means that more preparation has to be done in the kitchen so that everything is chopped up before cooking rather than throwing a lump of meat on the grill & then cutting afterwards - although I do love a good juicy steak very rare.
mmmmmmm aaaaaaaaagggghhhhh steak
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 1:21 pm

1 - I also love chopsticks becuase they keep me from eating too quick and i'm not getting any thinner these days.

2- I wanted to point out the reverse racism because i find it amusing. I think it is a hallmark of the policially correct that they often profess love and tolerance for all - except for those they don't like! I really don't care too much about Californians other than to admit i used to not like them until i went there and found them to be AWFULLY nice people. Nevertheless, in this case i like the MHB comments...

3-I reject the accusation of applying unequal double standards. I apply my double standards EQUALLY to all. Also, i "don't do" pc.

4-Barron! Eric called me WHAT! Oh, and what was that, be like bamboo and bend with the wind in my hair?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 2:18 pm

sapphire wrote:Wham, you shouldn't be talking about double standards. Many a times you've clearly revealed yours.

Btw Eric and WIMH, what's wrong with Californians? A few that I know are great people. Two of them are very close friends of mine.

And that's supposed to be an argument why they are ok? :lol:

Chill dudes and dudettes - a lot of what is said here is tongue in cheek, but I must say that New Yorkers, upstate ones anyway, are infinitely preferable to Californians . . .

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 2:23 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
sapphire wrote:Wham, you shouldn't be talking about double standards. Many a times you've clearly revealed yours.

And that's supposed to be an argument why they are ok? :lol:

Haha, I knew you would pick on that. Smartass!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 2:24 pm

At least I don't disappoint you, my dear Sapphire :)

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 2:26 pm

Actually, you have once. When you posted your pretty boy pic. :P

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 2:33 pm

That was a pic of my brother

'nuff said Image