Singapore Expats Forum

Cost of living (again)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Thinker

Cost of living (again)

Postby Thinker » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 8:30 pm

First of all a happy new year to you all.

2.5 years ago I was thinking about moving to Singapore. Due to various reasons I did not, but it is itching again and I am reconsidering the reasons of my decision 2.5 years ago. Googeling has provided me with a lot of (basic) information. A lot of questions I had, have furthermore been answered in this forum, but some still remain open.

- I read on numerous sites that (International) Tax managers are in demand in Singapore. Being a Dutch educated tax lawyer with approx 9.5 years of experience in international tax planning, I wonder whether someone can confirm that this demand is indeed existent?

- Does anybody know what a competitive salary in this branch would be?

- How do the cost of living compare to the cost of living in the Netherlands?

- Do Singapore based companies offer pension-schemes and what would be a standard pension scheme (based on last salary; average salary; result on premiums paid)?

- What would be the average annual cost of a health insurance (2 pax; no children) or is this typically paid by the employer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 9:50 pm

Here's an advice from a Dutchman residing in this country for in total about 6 years over: Forget about Holland, do not compare the ridiculous benefits of the welfare state Holland and just do it. You'll be amazed how rich life can be without all the crap so used to in Holland.

Once you start comparing your health care and pesion and unemployment benefit and your whatever, I'd say you are not ready to experience the adventure of life outside the windmill calvinistic Holland.

Sorry jongen, eyeopener here... :-|

Eric

Thinker

Postby Thinker » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:09 pm

Eric,

Agree with you. Thing is, I need to convince my partner. She is a little less adventurous and I need to paint her a clear picture before she will agree on a move. She unfortunatly sees more issues than opportunities... :???:

geen probleem, eyes were allready open

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:18 pm

Ok, got it...

In that case, it is just impossible to compare. In Holland you pay an enormous amount of income tax, so that all those wishing to benefit from it do benefit and when you as ahardworking person need it, there's nothing left...

And on a more serious and less sarcastic note: Here it is all private: health insurance you buy, and pension you build up privately as well.

From experience, try the health insurance world policy / wereldpolis from Zilveren Kruis, you can't possibly get the cover in that policy here in Singapore, I tried it....

Pension? Talk to insurance and banks in Holland, as you are not familiar with the culture and the way of thinking here, it is damn confusing and you got no clue what you are buying.

ABN AMRO in Holland has some good private pension policies...

Eric