Singapore Expats Forum

In Last Sunday's New York Times...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:28 pm

It was Peter Stuyvesant Sms...

http://www.peterstuyvesant.org/

Us Dutchies conquered the world back then... 8)

Those were the days...

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 3:43 pm

Wham wrote:You might even say that much of what we call "typical New York behavior" is actually just Dutch! Heck, i may even start referring to myself as Dutch. Better yet, "WHAM FROM NEW AMSTERDAM"

Cheeseheads with attitude . . . #-o

'nuff said Image

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 5:58 pm

Ya, i am Wham from New Amsterdam! aka Mr. Gouda Head. Eric, Goede Morgen grotte lul! and ladies, Je bent een lekker ding!
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 6:15 pm

Wham wrote:Ya, i am Wham from New Amsterdam! aka Mr. Gouda Head. Eric, Goede Morgen grotte lul! and ladies, Je bent een lekker ding!

A monster has been created - - - hide your wives, lock your garbage bins and provide masking tape for your pets . . .

Wham , the Dutch New Yorker has been released . . . :

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 6:29 pm

Sheesh... Wham, what pills did you take this morning? :shock:

Better not translate those words (btw, it is 'grote' instead of 'grotte'), I leave it like this.

Wham and Vaucluse, guys you really need a chill out weekend... :D

Eric

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 6:48 pm

Ya, i need a Hoegaarden!!!
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:26 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:It was Peter Stuyvesant Sms...

http://www.peterstuyvesant.org/

Us Dutchies conquered the world back then... 8)

Those were the days...

Eric

Don't know if we can trust Wikipedia or not but I think It was my guy but your's was a major player in "New Netherlands"

Peter Minuit (1589 – August 5, 1638) was a Walloon from Wesel, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, then part of the Duchy of Cleves. He was the Director General of the Dutch colony of New Netherland from 1626 until 1633 and founder of the Swedish colony of New Sweden in 1638. By tradition he purchased the island of Manhattan from the Native Americans (Algonkins), on May 24, 1626.

Petrus Stuyvesant (born 1612, in Peperga (Friesland), died 1672, in New York) served as the last Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherland from 1647 until it was turned over to the English in 1664. He was a major figure in the early history of New York City.

Stuyvesant's accomplishment as director-general included a great expansion for the settlement of New Amsterdam (later renamed New York) beyond the southern tip of Manhattan. Among the projects built by Stuyvesant's administration were the protective wall on Wall Street, the canal which became Broad Street, and Broadway.

Stuyvesant and his family were large land owners in the northeastern portion of New Amsterdam, and the Stuyvesant name is currently associated with the Stuyvesant Town housing complex and Stuyvesant High School (where he is fondly known as "Pegleg Pete" and the football team is called the Peglegs in his honor), among other locations. This farm, called the "Bouwerie" (the seventeenth-century Dutch word for farm, which was also used for other farms in New Netherland) was the source for the name of the Manhattan street Bowery, and the chapel facing Bouwerie's long approach road (now Stuyvesant Street) developed into St Mark's in the Bowery. Stuyvesant's grand official residence at the very tip of Manhattan was renamed "Whitehall" by the English and survives in another New York street name, Whitehall Street.