Singapore Expats

Home Theater DIY

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Genesis

Home Theater DIY

Post by Genesis » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 3:12 pm

Happy New Year to all!

I'm in the process of putting together all of the components for a home theater. I'm planning to DIY the whole thing so I'm looking for some assistance from others who have gone through this process or are also in the planning stage. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

I've determined what speakers, A/V receiver, DVD player and projector that I'd like. I've also contracted a local guy to install some drywall to cover a window in the room so it will be as dark as possible.

However, I need to source a good 90" screen and I've been told that Stewart is a good manufacturer....any others? Any recommendations on a local shop where I can purchase a good screen?

Ok, so let's say I've got all the components at home and the screen is up, room is prepared...ready to go. What I'm most interested in is the acoustical dampening required to eliminate any standing waves in the room and generally to prepare the room for proper sound. I don't want an engineer/consultant to come over, assess my needs and charge me a small fortune both for his time and materials. Given I'm pretty good with the technicals, any ideas on where I can go in Singapore to inquire about room acoustics and treatment?

Please feel free to use this thread to add any other questions/comments here about home theater.....

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Room acoustics!!

Post by bigfilsing » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 6:21 pm

There's a lot of guys at the adelphi centre can point you in the right direction.
In general living rooms are not the ideal spaces for good acoustics. My experience is that a good graphic equaliser and the use of a proper sound analiser for set up is the way to go.
Heavy duty velvet curtains are recommended if you have large glass windows/doors.

Good luck

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks for the tips. Walking into the Adelphi is like fresh meat to the wolves! haha...well, not that bad, but it can be difficult to get good objective advice there. I was hoping there might be some other shops (that are not in the Adelphi or SLS) where the owners really know their stuff.

Agree with you on the living room. I'm actually using an upstairs room that has a high inverted V-shape ceiling. If the room was just a bit larger it would be perfect, but should still be ok if the proper acoustic treatments are applied.

The A/V receiver I'm looking at has a sound equalization feature where you can use a small microphone set at your listening spot. The mic sends info back to the receiver which then adjust the speaker volumes for optimal levels....cool 8)

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:57 pm

One thing i should mention. I wouldn't spend too much time on setup. The main problem i find especialy with DVD's is that the audio levels are all over the place, even on Dolby Digital so you end up adjusting for each movie. I suppose a line leveler would get rid of the obvious volume issues but then you'd still be stuck with the various effects channels.

Drives me mad some times but then again most friends have declared me mad anyway for being this interested in AV :D

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:20 pm

I hear you bigfil....most everybody says I should just save the money and go to the movies instead :o Haha...but I'm commited to doing the best job possible on my home theater, then I'll demo the demon of my wares!

It's not just about 5.1 or 7.1 channel movies, it's also listening to music on two channel stereo or multichannel SACD. One thing I've found over the years, don't let the room be too "live" or else the reverb will kill any localization of sound. Question is, where/how to minimize this effect?

jokerknight

Post by jokerknight » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 2:20 pm

Genesis wrote:I hear you bigfil....most everybody says I should just save the money and go to the movies instead :o Haha...but I'm commited to doing the best job possible on my home theater, then I'll demo the demon of my wares!

It's not just about 5.1 or 7.1 channel movies, it's also listening to music on two channel stereo or multichannel SACD. One thing I've found over the years, don't let the room be too "live" or else the reverb will kill any localization of sound. Question is, where/how to minimize this effect?
Genesis, i hope you a big budget to kill. Usually when you want to DIY the cost of each components usually sky rocket. Don't get too influence by Hi-Fi magazines, its more important that you personally sit down and listen to the demo. depending on what you spend time on your home entertainment systems for (movies or audio), the range can varies quite alot. systems design for movies don't necessary provide good audio sound so you have to listen to a few CD tracks (jazz, new age, instruments) before you decide. And wrong combinition of speakers and amps can be a teething problem.

Good Luck and don't forget to invite us to your place when you are ready.

EPL
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EPL » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 2:57 pm

Well, certainly the penultimate paragraph from the above poster caught my attention :wink: am awaiting for the invitation also hehehe :P ( :oops: shame ah no shame :oops: )

Well if have the extra cash (not-enojy-now-&-pay-later :wink: ) I would love to own this home theater system from http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VI ... _dvd_index
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live the questions now... Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live... into the answer ~Rainer Maria Rilke~

jokerknight

Post by jokerknight » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 3:53 pm

EPL wrote:Well, certainly the penultimate paragraph from the above poster caught my attention :wink: am awaiting for the invitation also hehehe :P ( :oops: shame ah no shame :oops: )

Well if have the extra cash (not-enojy-now-&-pay-later :wink: ) I would love to own this home theater system from http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VI ... _dvd_index
I didn't know you are into Audio stuff as well. Bose makes good quality all in one systems. Great compensation between home entertainment and audio units. Got a friend who owns one of these lovely speakers, it keep shaking the his neighbours up at night though. :lol:

So don't watch blue flim with these turn on, you neighbours will go crazy. :shock:

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Thu, 26 Jan 2006 1:52 am

Update: Ok my room is finally prepared....blackout curtain along the rear wall and confirmed the max dimensions for the screen on the front wall relative to the throw distance of the projector. I'm going with a Stewart Firehawk screen up front (82" diagonal).

I've got two (very comfortable) recliners in the listening "sweet spot" and a huge coffee table in front (Indonesian teak, custom made). A bookcase holding CD's and DVD's along the left side wall.

Here's the issue...please help. I stand at the front of the room facing the seats and clap my hands (hard) and hear an immediate reverb thrown to the left. No matter where I move around the front, I can't get rid of the left reverb. What's necessary to mitigate this?