Singapore Expats Forum

What would Jesus say?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

What would Jesus say?

Postby ringo100 » Sun, 01 Jan 2006 8:55 pm

From BBC today
In February 2004, a report commissioned by the Church said more than 4,000 Roman Catholic priests in the US had faced sexual abuse allegations in the last 50 years.

It said more than 10,000 children - a large majority of them boys - were allegedly abused, but victims' representatives said this was an underestimate.

With me it isn't the fact that a number of perverted priests exist; perverts occur in even walk of life. The thing that makes my stomach turn is that now after the abuse the Church is trying to protect it's land assets and avoid paying the victims. I think maybe the Pope should sell of few of those gold crosses and help the poor bankrupt US Church (what a joke).

I also think that every Bishop who has moved a Priest, who has been accused of Child abuse, should be charged with running and maintaining pedophile rings.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:36 pm

Amen!
One man's meat is another's poison.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 02 Jan 2006 8:19 am

I believe that the lowest levels of hell in Dante's inferno are reserved for religions hypocrits and those in the church who abused their authoroity. If there is a hell, you gotta think the ranks are swelled by many priests, bishops and popes...

What irritates ME the most is that while the chuch will now finally admit that there is a problem becuase they were forced to by the lawsuits - they will still NOT adopt a zero tolerance policy for child molesting priests.

And yes, i also love the question "What would Jesus say?" because i think he would be sick to his stomach.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Mon, 02 Jan 2006 2:16 pm

It is 'purely' ( no pun intended ) disgusting when people who's duty is to spread the word of GOD and help with the healing process betray the trust. What these rogue priests have done and I believe is still on-going, ranks way down there, second only to parents who do the same to their own flesh&blood.

There are no 'earthly' punishments that can be metted out, that would come close to the severity of their act/s.

But I know Jesus would say -"Disrobe them and in their naked vulnerability, flog them as you would the devil himself!".....

....but then again the Jesus I know is a Mexican now living in LA,legally.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 02 Jan 2006 6:26 pm

what happened is truly abhorrent. abusing the trust of children is surely among the worst of sins. the best way to answer the question 'what would jesus say', if anyone is genuinely interested to know in the first place, is to look at what he did say when he had a voice audible to human ears:

when he saw how the house of god was desecrated by self-serving hawkers, he threw a rage and shouted at them and overturned tables. yes i believe jesus would be livid at this.

when he saw how israel persisted in doing wrong. he wept. i believe jesus would weep now.

when he was asked by the crowd to condemn a sinner, he said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

when revenge and punishment would have been the 'natural, human' thing to do, he said "father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

so what would jesus say? if you really want to know, ask him. it's called prayer; in this case not the adoring, worshipping kind of prayer, but the angry, hurting, questioning kind. and if you don't really want to know, then it doesn't matter anyway.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 02 Jan 2006 7:30 pm

From Woódy Allen's Hannah and her Sisters :

"...if Jesus Christ were to come down and see what was going on in his name, he would never stop throwing up...

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 2:05 pm

This reminds me of a story. After Jesus was crucified and had risen from the dead, God ran into the Devil. God went on and on about how he sent his only son down, how he did all the miracles, about the 40 days in the desert and all...and how now he had risen etc." and then asked the Devil what he thought about it all. The Devil paused... and thought... and then smiled and said "You think that's good? I'm going to make a religion out of it!!!"
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson