Singapore Expats

Suntec City Lights

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:19 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: And I love it, it is juz part of the buzz you feel is going on here.
I agree. There is nothing more depressing than going home after a couple of years out of the country to see no change at all - just a few shops that were operating now have boarded up their windows. Perhaps the neighbour has new kitchen cupboards (and this will be told to you with absolute glee).

I wish I could be nostalgic about that and say "It's good to be home - nothing changes", but it is horrible. I think it rubs off on the mindset of some of the people too: Oh, you've been away. Yes, that's nice. Shall I fill you in on what you've missed on the soapies? (that's about all that changes in Christchurch, anyway) #-o

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:30 am

yeah... Don't get me started about my homecountry Kiwi... :?

Eric

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 6:27 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: Ok, one thing always so good to feel though: Every time I touch down again at Changi, coming out of the arrival hall: The smell of being home again, that undefinable tropical smell of Singapore... 8)

Eric
Can't agree with you more Eric. The sight of Mrs S and I racing each other out of the arrivals hall to see who would get the first wiff of Singapore must have been a strange sight :D

Only been back a week and we're already planning our next visit

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Post by madwolfie » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 2:05 pm

Simply said "Home Sweet Home" ... :)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 7:38 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Ok, one thing always so good to feel though: Every time I touch down again at Changi, coming out of the arrival hall: The smell of being home again, that undefinable tropical smell of Singapore... 8)

Eric
OK, you got me there. What I love about coming home to Singapore is the way my house smells. Honest to God. Its a combination of teak/sandalwood/the plumeria tree outside/jasmine/incense -- I don't know what else. It smells so exotic and so tropical and good. I love it.

On the flip side: returning to our home in the US every six months or so, we can't help but notice the changes, all for the bad. We live in a very rural community, with tons of pasture land and where old buildings, especially farm buildings are generally revered. Our general store in town is 200 years old for example. But everytime we return, a few less old barns, a few more McMansions. A few less Mom & Pop stores, a few more franchises. Its slower here than it is in the rest of the US, but it is still happening and it makes me sick. :cry: