Singapore Expats Forum

Suntec City Lights

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Suntec City Lights

Postby Wild Rover » Sun, 01 Jan 2006 8:26 am

Did anyone else notice they were back last night? Let's hope they're here to stay for 2006. They make such a difference to Singapore's already fabulous skyline, here's hoping they're back for good!
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:39 am

Haha, what's with you and the Suntec lights? Anyway, glad that small little things like that make you happy. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:35 pm

sapphire wrote:Haha, what's with you and the Suntec lights? Anyway, glad that small little things like that make you happy. :P

Not all of us dislike our beautiful city dear... :P

Eric

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:47 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
sapphire wrote:Haha, what's with you and the Suntec lights? Anyway, glad that small little things like that make you happy. :P

Not all of us dislike our beautiful city dear... :P

Eric

Em Eye wrote:On the way back from the airport last night I was excited to see the lights are back. I think they look great.

See Sapphs, I'm not the only one :P
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 3:01 pm

I can think of at least a dozen brisk comments for that one . . . but my resolution is to be nicer this year.

'nuff said Image

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 5:55 pm

Vaucluse wrote:I can think of at least a dozen brisk comments for that one . . . but my resolution is to be nicer this year.

Think we should have a sweep stake on just how long this will last :lol:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 6:08 pm

Vaucluse wrote:

I can think of at least a dozen brisk comments for that one . . . but my resolution is to be nicer this year.

Vaucluse wrote:

Don't let me stop you, go on, post something, you've already got me curious. :P

Saint, new year resolutions are made to be broken, I think that's what Vaucluse was hinting at. :D
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 6:10 pm

sapphire wrote:Saint, new year resolutions are made to be broken, I think that's what Vaucluse was hinting at. :D

I'm surprised he's lasted this long :o

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 7:08 pm

This is the new gentler, baby-kissing, tree-hugging me. O:)

'nuff said Image

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 7:24 pm

and this is the howling me... in action :wink:

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 7:24 pm

Vaucluse wrote:This is the new gentler, baby-kissing, tree-hugging me. O:)

Congratulations Vaucluse, it's already the thrid and still you have stuck with your resolution :P

If anyone has gone to Suntec City and tried to park, but had to take the ''courtesy buggy' - they would definitely view the entire place as cursed.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 1:29 am

This is a picture of Suntec that hubby took from our 56th floor room in Westin hotel (think it is rename swisstol now), 5 year ago.

I was at Esplanade a month ago and could no longer find Suntec at night. It was indeed depressing, almost drove me to tears.

We were looking for Compass Rose restuarant, as it was very much an icon back then. Went around the hotel, looking up directory and asking the front desk where's the elevator leading to it, only to be met with blank stares. We found out it had been renamed Equinox and right behind us was another SGean (also looking for Compass Rose) mumbling to his Japanese mate that he must have been away for too long.

Went to the night club, with CGC group (mostly cantonese expats), in M hotel and remarked to them that it used to be Daiichi hotel. Everyone, including hotel staff, just responded with a blank stare. About two decades ago, I had a very dear Japanese friend (working out of SG) stayed long-term in Daiichie and we used to have coffee in the cafe by the lobby. I was happy to see that the cafe was still there, in its same spot, and it brought back some fond memories.

I took my hubby and daughter to visit my primary shool, only to find piece of wasted land without any buildings left on it. Luckily, the rusty old gate was still left standing, but nothing to guard. Looking at that gate brought back countless memories.

Sometimes I feel so displaced in my own homeland. Perhaps I am too outdated and not moving with the time. Is it just me? Does anyone feel that way.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 7:09 am

earthfriendly wrote:
Sometimes I feel so displaced in my own homeland. Perhaps I am too outdated and not moving with the time. Is it just me? Does anyone feel that way.

Nope Earthfriendly, I don't think you're outdated at all. On the contrary, pretty normal, as Singapore's constantly evolving and constuction is an ongoing process there. I don't visit as often as I'd like but when I do, as I did in Jan. 2005 after 5years, I too was amazed at how much had changed in my absence with the influx of newer hotels (or just a change of management in some cases) and even newer buildings. I was also struck by how very crowded it was everywhere. Singapore has always been densely populated but now the population has almost doubled making it seem even more humid and hot with masses of people jostling not just in town but also in the malls located in the 'burbs on weekdays.

I too feel a touch of nostalgia every now and again for buildings that have disappeared from the landscape or how I sometimes feel like a tourist in my own homeland but the one thing I always feel whenever I return home, is a sense of pride and well being. Everything works, infrastructure is great, you whiz through customs, yes even foreign passport holders without having to answer innumerable, irrelevant questions and the efficiency in getting anything done is amazing. I was able to renew my passport in a matter of hours (and this was a normal not an express application)!

Singapore is many things to many people but I'm convinced of one thing, one has a greater appreciation of things when one has lived away or travelled to other countries.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 9:17 am

Global Citizen wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:Sometimes I feel so displaced in my own homeland. Perhaps I am too outdated and not moving with the time. Is it just me? Does anyone feel that way.

Nope Earthfriendly, I don't think you're outdated at all. On the contrary, pretty normal, as Singapore's constantly evolving and constuction is an ongoing process there. I don't visit as often as I'd like but when I do, as I did in Jan. 2005 after 5years, I too was amazed at how much had changed in my absence with the influx of newer hotels (or just a change of management in some cases) and even newer buildings.

hey, you two are not alone. i live here full-time and even then can't keep up with all the changes going on! compass rose and the stamford, as well as the mandarin, are renamed, hotels like ANA and imperial oberoi are gone, good ol' plaza singapura the dhoby ghaut area in general is unrecognisable, the landmark merlion was shifted, clarke quay has come to life, parliament has a new house, there's a whole new generation of cabinet ministers, and perm secs are doing the merry go round of ministries...

most changes are for the good, i think. just hard to keep up sometimes. makes me feel that i've passed into the "older generation" indulging in the nostalgia of "how things used to be..." :cry:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 04 Jan 2006 9:36 am

Once upon a time in 2006 there were 3 Singaporeans talking about the continuous changes in their homecountry... :)

Although only here for bit over 6 years in total, I am starting to feel the same though... And yes, wherever you go here in Singapore, always constructions ongoing, loads of people around and new buildings.

Be it condos being built here in East Coast area (last year when I was living at Palm Road, right next to me there was one old building being destructed and a new one being erected, now same here in my new place, again right next to us), be it in down town area around Grange road, wherever.

And I love it, it is juz part of the buzz you feel is going on here.

No nostalgia for me in Singapore though, I am too young for that! :P

Ok, one thing always so good to feel though: Every time I touch down again at Changi, coming out of the arrival hall: The smell of being home again, that undefinable tropical smell of Singapore... 8)

Eric