Singapore Expats Forum

Coming on a Scouting Holiday!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Elise

Coming on a Scouting Holiday!

Postby Elise » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 8:32 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post. (Hoorah!)

We are considering relocation and thought it would be a good idea to come to Singapore on holiday in January to basically check things out. If we do relocate my husband would be working on the East Coast and I will be looking after our 3 year old son.

Any tips or pointers as to what we should be looking at when we holiday would be appreciated. I think it will be Chinese New Year when we are there so I guess the city will be a bit busier than usual.

What I need more than anything is a few recommendations for holiday apartments for 2 weeks. Anywhere in the city or east coast would be great. At the moment, I can only find rental condos which look like they are for long term and serviced apts which look a bit small.

Thank you for any help in advance
Elise :)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: Coming on a Scouting Holiday!

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 31 Dec 2005 7:37 pm

Elise wrote:Any tips or pointers as to what we should be looking at when we holiday would be appreciated. I think it will be Chinese New Year when we are there so I guess the city will be a bit busier than usual.

What I need more than anything is a few recommendations for holiday apartments for 2 weeks. Anywhere in the city or east coast would be great. At the moment, I can only find rental condos which look like they are for long term and serviced apts which look a bit small.

Serviced Apartments are quite small, but efficient and as long as you have 2 bedrooms -- what more do you need for 2 weeks? They are however, quite expensive. Really shop around. You'll want to eat out a lot, since Singapore is quite well known for its diversity in cuisine & it can be very inexpensive if you eat as locals do. The kitchen is really secondary. I think many have 30 day minimums for the cheapest rates.

Since the weather is a constant, you won't need to bring much in the way of clothing. I would choose a location in the city center, walking distance to some kind of supermarket, ideally: Great World, Tree Tops, Orchard Park Suites, Scotts. Again, these are quite pricey.

We found that a double suite at the Hyatt (3 kids) was the same price as a Serviced Apartment. The company paid, and we were able to accumulate a huge amount of 'points.'

The build up to Chinese New Year is a very busy time, but things essentially shut down for a few days/weeks during the actual holiday-- make sure you have food & other essentials before hand.

Hope this helps.

Elise

Postby Elise » Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:58 am

Hi Mary Hatch Bailey

We only need a serviced apt/hotel suite for the 2 weeks holiday that we are spending in Singapore at the end of January. If we decide to relocate which is looking likely already, we'll find a condo either on the East Coast - my husband will be working in the Changi Business Park or in the City. I'll have to take a view about cooking/eating when we get there as it will be a big change to be eating out all the time rather than me cooking! What do most expats do?

Thanks for those names - I've been to Singapore a long time ago and remember being a bit disappointed with the hotel I stayed in - it was a bit old!

As for the weather - this is probably one of my biggest worries, but hopefully after a couple of months I'll get used to the humidity. I'd hate to stay indoors all the time because of it.

Thanks for the tip about Chinese New Year - I'll make sure we are prepared!

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Elise :)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 01 Jan 2006 7:15 pm

Elise,

The above post is only referring to Serviced Apartments. Not sure if there is a misunderstanding? Anyway, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for -- there is a huge range of accommodations.

Good Luck,

MHB